Guest review - how to respond?

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

Guest review - how to respond?

I have only been on Airbnb as a Host since October, but since then I've had about 15 Guests, and most 4 or 5 star reviews, with nice posts from all guests.  

I hosted a couple this weekend for 3 nights for a film festival in my town, and they left a fairly rude and inconsiderate review (below).  I am disappointed, because from everyone else's reviews, I am not getting this vibe, and it is also my home, so the review is pretty hurtful in all reality.  I know in business, I shouldn't involve emotions.  My main question is: how do I respond publicly?  

Also, has this happened to other Hosts?  I am worried it may hurt my new bookings if this is the first review potential guests see.

GUEST REVIEW: "Zoe was nice as could be, and check in was super easy. The place leaves a lot to be desired though. The shower especially--the slanted ceiling is so low you can't even stand up straight in there (even my girlfriend who is 5'3"). The only way to take a shower is to sit down (they did provide a shower stool). The place is clean, but not for those afraid of heights; you have to use a long steep staircase to get in. Close enough to downtown and the university, but a pretty blah neighborhood of little postwar box houses. A dog barking next door woke us at midnight and 5 a.m. and the house is on a pretty busy road with traffic all night too. Probably our least favorite AirBnB place we've stayed at."

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Zoe34  Please see the review as the guest's opinion and also an opportunity to look at your space and your presentation of your space.  You have a cute space and a number of wonderful reviews, so this guest's opinion will ot be an issue. Your response should be accepting of their perspective, not defensive, not demeaning of the guest.  Something like:  "Thank you for your feedback.  We value every guest's experience and will seriously review your concerns.  Thank you for your kind words about our hosting."  Meanwhile, look at their complaints objectively to see if there is anything you need to be concerned about.  Travelers will see all the great reviews, then see your response to a less positive review and think, wow, that's a classy host.

@Linda108 Thank you so much - this is great.  And yes, I do care about my guests' feedback it just seemed like he was complaining to hear himself complain.  Just an odd experience overall I suppose.  I will definitely take the advice you've given me - I appreciate it!

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

Take a deep breath - reread all your other nice reviews - then move on. My advice would to respond only if you normally do - and then take the high road by saying you enjoyed meeting them and are disappointed that your home did not match their expectations and you hoped to get had a pleasant trip in any case. You shouldn't have to apologize for your bathroom nor your neighborhood - so don't (but do make sure your listing mentions the small shower space somewhere in the description).

there is always one guest that will not be pleased (or be kind) - and it won't affect your future bookings I'm sure. And your guest was complimentary about you which is what most people are focused on anyway.

Best of Luck to you, keep up the good work and forget them an

@Rachael26 sigh...I took my breath 🙂  I thank you for your quick reply.  It is nice to hear from another Airbnb-er on how to handle it.  I will respond as I usually do, thank you!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Zoe34 You have a lovely loft apartment and, you know the main thing that comes out of your reviews Zoe....people love you, you will be a great host because you have that endearing character that so many hosts don't have!

To the focus of the complaint....That shower is a bit squeezy, and I am afraid that is going to be a re-occuring comment but don't be tempted to hit out at in your review response! As @Linda108 and @Rachael26 have said, thank the guest for their constructive feedback and tell them you are looking at ways to make their next visit a true 5 star experience. That will make you look the star to others who read that review.

If you are going to continue to host for the long term Zoe and are prepared to spend $1,000 or two I would suggest you engage a builder to alter the roof line to make a small 'dormer' gable where the bathroom is! Perhaps even incorporate a small window in it. That would make the bathroom much more spacious, give the shower full height and it would remove the only negative from what is otherwise a lovely listing. You would be able to increase your listing figure by $10 or so per night to, in time, offset the cost of this alteration.

Zoe, don't take this one to heart....you are too good to drop your bundle over what is after all, just a negative perception! This review will slip off your reviews page before you know it, and the only thing that will keep on attraction visitors to it is if you lash out with your response and get into some sort of verbal fist fight.

Let it go and just concentrate on ways you can make yourself even better!

Cheers.....Rob

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I had a guest who stayed for a ridiculously cheap amount because I was new.  He gave me an AWfUL review and told me the room was like his granny's...old and creepy.  He suggested I spend about $2k in order to be in line with other places....I was really upset because I have no intention of spending money to rent the space out so cheaply..plus, as you said, it's my home and I work hard to have whatever I have inside it...even if it's creepy and old and broke down lol.  Luckily regardless of his comments early on, I got Superhost status by just keeping the space clean and being my nice self and I have been able to keep the price low so attract travelers who wouldn't normally be able to travel to where I live, which was the goal for us..meet people from all over the world and make a few extra bucks.  I don't need to create a million dollar space to get less than Motel 8 prices.  Just keep at it.  I can tell you from experience, it's just on review...no biggie!