Guest requesting refund

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

Guest requesting refund

Hi all, I had an instant-book a few weeks back for this past Friday night.  I had been communicating with the guest and her friend and the guest was running late due to a work emergency, but her friend checked in.  Shortly after I spoke with her friend on the phone, she called again and said she had left, not touched anything in the apartment, etc. but since her friend (the guest) was unable to come to town, she was going home as well.  Now, the guest is asking "to work something out" on payment.  What would you suggest I do?  Refund?  Refund partially?  I have had a terrible review in the past due to a guest not checking in and leaving 1 star reviews, but my cancellation policy is 5 days prior to check in, full refund.  So I'm not sure what to do about this guest...I just started hosting in October, so any help from more seasoned hosts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Zoe34

Hi -first of all a guest cannot leave a review if they do not stay. So you should have immediately contacted AirBnB and asked them to remove that review - perhaps you did?

Personally, I would give them some type of refund. Stuff happens and I can understand how if I was in her shoes I might not want to stay. But of course you have lost the chance to sell the room for the weekend. 

I know there are other hosts that would be much more strict - but I would give maybe a 30% refund and explain that you lost other bookings. Perhaps also say that if they want to rebook for another time you will also give them an additional discount at that time.

I don't believe this guest will be able to leave review either - as technically they did not stay - but they did check in....so not sure..

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

If she truly had not touched anything, how about refund cleaning fee only. I'd keep everything else and explain that it is per the refund policy that the guest agreed to when booking. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Zoe34  Your listing is adorable and your reviews reflect that you are a great host.  I agree with both @Scott80 and @Gerry-And-Rashid0 but think you could also take a strict cancellation policy stance and let the booking guest handle the cancellation.  The friend that showed up made the decision to leave knowing the consequences.  Now if your soft heart (I am sure you are a kind person) wants to sympathise with the guest's circumstances, offering to refund the cleaning fee is pretty generous.  Don't forget that many people book on Air BNB as an economical alternative to hotels and understand that cancellation comes with cost.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Refund the cleaning fee seems fair.

David
Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

i have been hosting for a few months and i find using the flexable option work fine for us.full redund if cancelled at least 24 hours in advance.i also have turned off instant booking. all mispelled words are airbnb's fault   doh 

t

Jack70
Level 5
Las Vegas, NV

Zoe, we had a situation a couple of months ago where the guests a lady in her 40`s and her mother in the 70`s, they checked in and about 15 minutes later they come downstairs and tell me that she was a very lite sleeper and that she felt that she was not going to able to sleep with the traffic noise which is a bunch of BS, we have been hosting hor 3 years and no one has ever complained. Then she changed her story and said that whoever took our homes pictures used a wide angle lense. I told her that it was a proffesionel photographer from ABB took the pictures. Here she and her mother were getting 3 big rooms plus a private bathroom all to themselves and she is telling me the place was to small. During the whole time she was very rude with me. told me they were leaving, I told her she should contact ABB, because I think she would have to at least pay me for one nite, she ver arrogantly told me she was not paying one cent and they left. About an hr. later ABB called me and asked if I was willing to settle for one nite stay, I told ABB no way because of the way the lady treated me and because all her excuses were baseless. We also have the Moderate refund on our listing.

I really appreciated that ABB stuck with me.

Maureen82
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Hello:

The guest was scheduled to stay from April 30 - May 4 but changed the date to May 1 - May 4. I wrongly accepted the original date instead of the changed date. How do I get AIRBNB to charge for three days and not four. The original payout is $295.00  

Thank you.

M. Thomas

@Maureen82  Go to your reservation list and this guest will have an option to "send or request money".  Select that and follow the prompts.  If you have already been paid, you will either have the amount refunded deducted from your next payout or if you have a credit card on file with Air BNB, your card will be charged.