Guest cancellation

Gan0
Level 1
Mississauga, Canada

Guest cancellation

Hello fellow Hosts,

I am hosting Airbnb in Toronto for one year now and only yesterday experience a request FROM guest to cancel her reservation due to her schedule change. Her colleague wants to take over the reservation date and book under his own name. He is actually replacing her on a business trip to Toronto .

I immediately say OK and ask her to process cancellation from her end and ask if her colleague can immediate book, hoping the spot will not be taken by other guests. She did the cancellation and immediately I got Airbnb notification that there is a request for me to process cancellation from my end.

The notification clearly stated that I have to process cancellation within 2 x 24 hours, otherwise Airbnb will automatically cancel. Since, I want to please host and with hope that her colleague can immediate book the same reservation dates, I processed cancellation from my end. After I did the cancellation, the calendar is remain blocked and her colleague can't reserve. The calendar highlight is now change to "grey" and labeled "cancelled". I was still thinking positive, perhaps Airbnb needs time to clear the calendar. So we both (me and potential guest) will wait.

This is when I got confused: today I got an email from Airbnb which basically WARN me that Airbnb can SUSPEND my listing due to this cancellation event. It sounds like Airbnb accused me (the host) who initiate the cancellation. Moreover, the calendar is remain blocked so no way guest can make reservation on that dates.

I feel this is not right and feel so down that I got hit for doing a favour and try to accomodate for my guest's situation. I reply to Airbnb email about suspension warn, but no response so far. I try to contact Airbnb, but seemly only through this Community Center, I can hope I will get response.

I should get a fair treat from Airbnb as this cancellation not desired by me and as a matter fact I want to get reservation for these Airbnb blocked dates.   

Thanks, and please share what is the guest's cancellation procedure that I missed......

4 Replies 4
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Gan0, you committed 2 errors here: first, there was no need for any cancellation. She could add her collegue to her reservation, if he has no profile or to her booking, if he already has one. 

Second: you cancelled. Not the guest. Never ever do that. If you get such a request, refuse it. She did that to avoid the charges and probably never intended to book for the collegue afterwards. 

If you cancel, the calendar is blocked and you are punished. 

You should try to contact airbnb, if the conversation is on the thread, they will probably remove the punishment and let you rebook the dates. Maybe even the collegue will book. 

Good luck.

Gan0
Level 1
Mississauga, Canada

@Helga0, thanks for your comments. Here I include the messages. I really hope airbnb will consider:

=========
  1. Hello Gan, There has been a slight change in plans for the attendance to the trade show in May. Another colleague will be attending in my place. Is there a way to transfer this reservation to him? Also, he is allergic to feathers. Does the condo have feather bedding or pillows? Please let me know if I can add him to the reservation? The payment information will stay the same. Thank you, Andrea. Last Wednesday at 12:33
  2. Andrea, we do not use feather pillows nor bedding. In terms of changing the guest, I never did this before. I have to investigate how.  Please ask your colleague to do booking inquiry (not reservation) of my condo (use any dates) and see if I can do something. Last Wednesday at 12:35
  3. Okay will do. He's back later today and I will show him the condo. Thank you for the information regarding the pillows/bedding. Last Wednesday at 12:37
  4. Hi Gan, could I share the confirmation number with my colleague and just add him as my guest? Would that allow him to download the digital key to the August ap? I asked him to request a booking. Last Wednesday at 15:06 
  5. Should be okay, Last Wednesday at 15:06
  6. Hi Gan, one more hitch. He doesn't have a smartphone - only a blackberry. Is there a similar AP for that or can we make arrangements. Last Wednesday at 15:26
  7. I can always open remotely. However, for security purpose, along with Airbnb policy, the guest must always has account with Airbnb. If your colleague already has Airbnb account, please go ahead cancel your reservation and immediately book under your colleague's account. Make sure it happens immediately as I set the reservation policy on first come first serve basis. If happen to be in between reservation someone else book the spot, I can't guarantee your colleague's dates. Thanks, Gan. Last Wednesday at 15:42
  8. Okay sounds good, Gan. Just so my boss doesn't flip out, we won't be charged twice for the same dates will we? Yesterday at 09:52
  9. Never mind the last question, I just saw a refund from Airbnb. I will have my colleague go in and book the room this morning. He's with a client right now. Thanks, Andrea. Yesterday at 10:04
  10. Ok. Thanks. Yesterday at 10:05
  11. I am so sorry, Gan. This is a complete mess... my other colleague (who is still attending the show) just received a message from Airbnb issuing him a refund (he has a separate booking in the same building). I thought that was my reservation but the numbers don't match. Here is what he received: ****"Hi Kim, A refund of $592 CAD has been issued to your credit card (VISA 2515) for reservation 8KMFYT at Modern Studio with Free Parking (you originally paid $592 CAD). While this refund is immediate on our part, it can take up to 5 business days for the funds to reach your account. Thanks, The Airbnb Team Did Airbnb refund the wrong booking?*****. Yesterday at 10:12
  12. think the refund is not from me. All refund was handled by Airbnb. I never have details of customer's credit card. It is protected by Airbnb so it will be very safe fir customer. Again, I do not process the refund. It seems the refund come from other Airbnb unit. Not my unit. Sorry to hear all the confusion. Yesterday at 12:37
  13. My colleague is following up with Airbnb. I will cancel my reservation this afternoon and have Gary request the booking for himself. We will get this figured out! Thanks for clarifying. Yesterday at 12:48
  14. I just got notification from Airbnb about you request to cancel. I did follow instruction and cancel it. Airbnb will manage all the refund and penalty (if applicable). Again, it is not up to me. Regards,. Yesterday at 14:01
  15. Okay. I just checked Gary's computer and the dates are still blocked out. I will check again in a few minutes. Yesterday at 14:03 via Airbnb SMS
  16. Yes, it shows the same (block out) with the special notes that cancellation is in process. I will ask Airbnb and as soon as it is unblocked I will let you know.Today at 05:44
  17. We will check again today. Maybe a 24 hour refresh is required. I really want him to take this spot so he and my other colleague are in the same building.Today at 07:54 via Airbnb SMS
  18. Ok if I see it first i will block it for your colleague. Today at 08:00
  19. Thanks Gan! Today at 08:00 via Airbnb SMS
  20. Hi Gan, He tried again to book this morning but the dates are blacked out from May 1 - 5. Does it take a while for Airbnb to release the dates from the cancelled booking? Thanks Andrea. Today at 11:22
  21. This is my first experience of approving guest's request for cancellation. Can you check if you have to confirm acceptance of my cancellation from your airbnb account where you book it originally? I suspect maybe Airbnb try to protect guest from host cancellation. Another word must be agreed by both parties. Please check. Today at 12:04

Hi @Gan0, as said, the guest had the right idea in the beginning, to add her collegue to the booking. 

It's very clear that it was an error. Get in contact with airbnb, by phone or twitter, to sort it out. Here is only the host community, fellow hosts, not airbnb staff.

Terry133
Level 2
Tylden South, Australia

Hi

I am new to hosting through airbnb so still learning. On the subject of a guest cancelling