Guest cancellation

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

Guest cancellation

Hi everyone!  I enjoy these conversations and just wanted your input about how to reply to a guest.  It's Wednesday evening, and a guest messages me that he needs to cancel his stay for Friday check-in.  I requested that he be the one to actually cancel the stay since I will be penalized as a host (I didn't state the reason).  He did, almost immediately.  However, after he cancelled, he messaged again and ask that due to his "extreme extenuating circumstances for cancelling" (which he did not divulge why), he should be refunded more than the $10 cleaning fee.  The stay was a total of $80 for the guest.  My cancellation policy is modest, so a full refund 5 days prior to check-in.  Being that this is only 2 days prior to check-in, how do I respond kindly?  "I'm sorry, but through Airbnb's policy on my specific cancellation policy, I'm unable to cancel within 48 hours of check-in."???   I've never had a guest cancel, so just want to know other's best policies.  

30 Replies 30

@Zoe34 - You are being so very polite!  Since your guest is the one who needs to break the contract of staying with you, he indeed, needed to cancel the reservation.  With a Modest cancellation policy, the first night is non-refundable but 50% of the accommodation fees for remaining nights will be refunded, and you are entitled to that. (cleaning fees are always refunded)

However, if the guest meets the requirements for Extenuating Circumstances, he may be entitled to receive more. You do not get to make this determination, that is up to Airbnb.  You should tell your guest that he may qualify and he should contact them directly.  Let him know that you do not handle any of the financial transactions and it is out of your hands.  Send him the links on the Cancellation Policy, the Extenuating Circumstances policy and the Guest Refund Policy.  Wish him well.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnb-s-guest-refund-policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

Good luck.  

This is why I love this group!  Thank you @Alice-and-Jeff0@Linda108, and @Granada-Beach0 for your input.  I have sent him the links @Alice-and-Jeff0 provided and messaged him the situation.  Thanks again for your quick responses and help in this matter I haven't dealt with yet in hosting!  Have a great Thursday!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Zoe34   In this business, a booking is not a guarantee of income.  Things happen.  You need to get to a comfort zone about cancellations.  @Alice-and-Jeff0 are right on the mark.  Let the system work for you.  Sometimes you think you are getting the short end of the stick, but in the long run if you are a good host, it will work in your favor.  Good Luck!

Granada-Beach0
Level 1
Oslob, Philippines

It is not the most pleasant feeling, by policies are there to protect you. When your guest made the reservation they would have been completely aware of the cancellation policy and you need to stay strong. Let them know that with such short notice you have no opportunity to offer the space for someone else which is why you have the modest policy. You can still be nice and give a refund if you like to the guest and they have a genuine reason for cancelling. Just my two cents

What if a guest cancels under the strict cancellation policy within 30 days? They get only 50% back. But who gets the other 50%? Does the host get it? Does airbnb get it? Does stay in limbo until guest books again?

Amy

@Amy220  You (the host) get the other 50%.

Agatha7
Level 1
United Kingdom

hey guys. my guest cancelled and im happy with that. now he wasnt refunded and i have penalty $100. how can i delete it from my account if he cancelled and i do agree for that and also how he can get his money back?

@Agatha7, what do you mean by penalty?

your profile shows no cancellation notice. 

If the host cancels, you get the automatic notice and increasing penalties at every host cancellation. The guest is fully refunded. 

If the guest cancels, you get no penalties, but you loose the cleaning fee and maybe part or all of the rent, depending on your policy. 

The guest is refunded the refundable part less airbnb fees. 

It may be a credit and the guest has to ask payout, if he does not want to use it to rebook elsewhere. 

@Helga0thank you for reply. guest booked in advance then we spoke about it that i can't host him so he said ok i will cancel booking. now it is written that i cancelled so i have to pay $100 cancellation fee, but i didn't cancel. guest cancelled and now he says he wasn't refunded. not sure why we both now were charged cancellation fees.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Helga0 I would place a reasonable bet that @Agatha7 cancelled the booking at the behest of the Guest.

David

Agatha has a flexible policy, so the guest should get nearly everything back, if he cancelled. If Agatha cancelled, maybe by accepting this crazy feature "your guest invites you to cancel" w heard about before, the payout to the guest is held till he asks to get it back. If the guest wants to cancel and tricks the host into accepting, I would not think the host should help the guest any further. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Agatha7

Well if you could not host then the cancellation should be on you.

David
Carol108
Level 2
Maine, United States

HI,

I have been a host for many years with over 100 reviews and yet the strick cancellation policy is blocking my calendar for a prime week in July. Can I get this unblocked? I agreed to the cancellation myself and cannot afford to be "punished" by airbnb

Thanks

@Carol108

I take it you cancelled a guest?

Nothing to agree to.

David