Extra People: No Charge

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Extra People: No Charge

I have two listings at a set price per night for a stated number of people. On my listings there is an automatic statement "Extra People: No Charge". I wanted to have this removed, because extra people above the stated numbe of people are not allowed. You all might be interested in the results of my inquiry to Airbnb about that notation "extra people: no charge". It cannot be removed. In fact, it is there on purpose. The person who was aiding me in trying to resolve the issue did indeed try to help, because she was "unaware" of the problem. But it seems that Airbnb wants to keep that notation on listings for entire homes if the price is set at one figure for the whole house. It is another "marketing tool". For example, if I was to search for a listing where my big family of 12 could stay and found a house for $300 listed for 8 people with the notation "extra people: no charge" I would feel free to book the place for 8 and not have any qualms about the rest of the family bringing air mattresses and sleeping bags for the floor because they are "free". Yes, a very big marketing tool for Airbnb at our expense, promoting unpaid for guests to use our homes. Someone needs to bring this to the forefront at one of those airbnb meetings.

32 Replies 32
Shirley1
Level 5
Somerset, WI

I find it easier to charge extra above 4 people. I found that if I didn't and my maximum number was set to 8, the only inquiries I was getting was for larger groups. Too often they were for more 10-12 people and I don't want to rent to groups that large. 

We have the room for up to 8 guests, but it's really more comfortable for me to host 4-6 guests. Larger groups are just too hard on my house and I'm on pins and needles waiting to check the condition of the house after they leave. 

My rental agreement asks for the names of all the guests (which I like to have in case of an emergency and need to know who was staying there) and to check the number of guests coincide with the number confirmed. 

I also have a clause that any guests who stay overnight unexpectedly will be charged as an additional guest and that visitors are to be pre-approved. 

If AirBnb won't look out for me as a host, I will. 

Hi.  Can you tell me about the rental agreement where you ask for the names of the guests.  I keep having groups where no one appears to be the person whose photo shows up on their AirBnB account.  Is this a separate document?

I've never rented a place and stay with more than had beds for but also... I don't rent from hosts that charge per person.  There is no added value for guests. 

Pau50
Level 1
Vilanova de Sau, Spain

Well, unless you offer breakfast, shampoo, gel, and the like 

Paul4
Level 10
Kiawah Island, SC

Hi, Somehow, I do not remember how, I was able to remove "extra people, no charge" so it must be possible, unless they changed it.

I found out how. The airbnb help desk was no help at all. I found out that by putting an extra people charge amount (say $100) after the total number of guests the listing is for (9), the "extra people: no charge" notation disappears.

I used to have my place listed for $80 for the first two people with a $20 charge for each additional guest. I have had guests sneak in people so many times but it was always difficult to determine just how many extra people were snuck in because 4 of my beds are double beds and I suspect that sometimes the cushions on the sofas as well as the daybed were also used. But I if I had no proof of exactly how many guests there were then I could not charge.

I would like to see the option of a rate per bedroom used in the house.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Me too, for my 3 bedroom flat I would like to see the option of a rate per bedroom used in the house. 

Here is how I have set the pricing for now :

https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/12043937

Then what is the point.  There's no savings.  Which is why I stay in hotels most of the time now.  Airbnb hosts getting greedy or complicating stays pushes perspective guests away.

Ehe0
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Hi

Hope you can help me..... I want to add extra charge per person however in the price setting area there is nowhere that this can be selected that I can find.

I was thinking do I need to make my overall amount of people lower than I can host or more than I can host in some way would this then make another drop down appear.

e.g. four beds but you accept 6 people 2 on the extra charge or you can accommodate 6 people but you only have beds for 4

Thanks

Install a Ring doorbell and you can monitor the amount of people entering your home. 

Yes.  Monitoring.  Like the police.  Nothing stressful or combative about that.  Make your guests feel like they are being watched.    I hear United Airlines has openings...

Nothing quite as uncomfortable as having to confront a guest who decides to drag in his in-laws and opps forgot to pay you and then having to go through the Resolution Center rather than having a big confrontation in front of your guests who will retaliate with a nasty review.

Some people just love to cheat the hosts.  Big game for them I suppose.  It is not a game with me.  This is my property and I try my best to be careful but these people still try to play games to cheat you.

How do we change it

William-and-Lily0
Level 2
Big Bear Lake, CA

Not a good marketing incentive AirBNB.   If you want to maintain a max on the house but not charge for headcount at some sublevel, can't you set the house max at the 'extra $$ for over' ?   Say your house just wants 8, so you set the 'charge over' to 8 and make it exhorbant to go to 9?  Might seem silly but until AirBNB fixes their marketing, it might work.  

We have a house that sleeps easily 12, but we charge a flat fee at 6 and $15/person/day over that ... we also have the max set at 15 but when we get over 12, we remind the people what the bed limit is, that certain number of those will have to go to the coaches, should bring sleeping bags, etc.  The house is big enough, just any more than 12 will not get in a bed.  Has worked well .. people like the group home, the rates work good for large groups even with the 'pay over 6' factor, and I don't price out the small families by charging as if all beds are used all the time.