Does your house have plants?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Does your house have plants?

House Plants

Hello Everyone,

If you are like me I really enjoy having a few plants dotted around my home. I now have a little tradition in that every December I get a amaryllis plant which I grow from its bulb. Usually it takes a month or two until the flower opens and by this time I have usually forgotten which colour it is - so it is a lovely surprise. I also think I am getting the hang of keeping orchids, as far I know what to expect when all the flowers drop off! 🙂

Here is my amaryllis from last year:

Plant.jpeg

Do you have any house plants in your house or listing (if seperate)? Are you green-fingered? Perhaps you have some tips or suggestions on which varieties make good indoor plants? 🙂

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

38 Replies 38

Hi there Rob,

No , not agapanthus but a NZ native which has white flowers and is not invasive. A type of Lilly almost like a day Lilly .  Aggies have been a declared noxious weed and only smaller varieties are available from plant nurseries. Such a shame as a bank of them flowering away is a stunning sight.

But, as in Australia, so many imports thrive beyond expectations and become major pests.

With my house plants it seems the rule is......right plant right place.                                                        

Your garden looks to have recovered fully and will continue to provide you and your guests with calming restful pleasure again. 

Thanks too for your thoughtful advice through this community centre. I sometimes wonder how you find the time and the patience.

cheers

Michelke

IMG_2623.JPGIMG_2622.JPGHI Rob, these are for you. Some more inspiration from France. I am trying to replicate the orange, yellow, white and bronze colouring in my garden border. Cheers Michelle

Graham-And-Michelle0
Level 9
Auckland, New Zealand

1. Kalancho which has flowered for months. November til Now. 
  2. African violets. Just water carefully by soaking once a week , no watering on the leaves. Feed with plant food once a month. These flowers have lasted for 6 weeks.
  3. On the left, my treasured coffee plant. A new one , only bought it a month ago but the previous one I had for three years and it was looking superb but leaving non plant loving folk in charge while on holiday was its downfall.  Next to that  is a new house plant called Curcuma , a lovely tropical plant with rather strange ingervtye looking flowers. The one gas white ones. I have silk artificial flowers in the vase beside it and it " lends" them authenticity.  plantIMG_2034.JPGIMG_2030.JPGIMG_2027.JPGIMG_2035.JPG

Here are pics of my artificial lavender. Looks real, doesn't it? But no aroma...

2017-03-21 17.13.56.jpg

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

my artificial lavender

2017-03-21 17.13.56.jpg

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

my artificial lavender

2017-03-21 17.14.15.jpg

Your lavender looks great, very pretty.  If you add some water to the vase, yes I know it sounds mad, but honestly it fools the eye into thinking they are more real than plastic. You could also add some essential oil to fool the senses even more.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You definitely can't tell your lavender is artificial, @Huaai0. It is lovely how it has turned out, I am sure it is brightening up your home. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Graham-And-Michelle0 for sharing some tips regarding African violets. It certainly looks like your kalancho like being there, it is incredible it has flowered for all that time. Do you think the flowers will drop anytime soon or will it last out the year?

--------------------

Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Hi @Lizzie 

my apartment is full of indoor plants. From ZZ plant, fiddle fig, monstera, cactus and most of easy cared plants. I have a room with growing lights for my tomatoes, herbs and chillies. I love the plants it adds nice homey feeling to the house. 😉

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kim-and-Jen0

I am intrigued by your plants, your house sounds wonderful. I love a mostera, have you ever heard it called a swiss cheese plant? 🙂 What is a ZZ plant, I don't think I have heard of this before?

--------------------

Hi @Lizzie

ZZ Plant is Zamioculcas Zamifolia, some of them called it money plants. It is easy to grow indoors especially where I live there is not much sun. It is harder with the Fig tree and Monstera, they need more light but luckily I have growing room in the house so they survive the whole season. 

🙂

I have killed almost every plant I've tried to grow so we have gone with artificial. We spent money purchasing nice ones that look real, but a nice looking plant, whether it is real or not, can make a dead corner come to life. 2931e2aa-8a96-4a03-951e-5e7662d71995.jpg774b9eb5-2335-46be-9188-36b4c75f0ed4.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your plants look like a great addition to your house @Tim-and-Holly0, I am glad you didn't give up on plants altogether. What are the plants in your photos?

--------------------

@Lizzie: Both plants are artificial. The one over the fireplace is an ivy and I don't know what the other one is supposed to be. I was able to get a bunch of plants at a thrift store for $5 to $15 each. Most of them are normally priced for $20 to $75.

By the way, that is a good tip for people decorating their houses. Visit the thrift stores. When we decorated our newest house all the decor and the desk (but not the other furniture) came from thrift stores. It saved hundreds of dollars for pictures, plants, etc. The desk was $10. Most of the pictures were $3 to $15 each.

Tim

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15407139