Does being a superhost actually matter?

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Does being a superhost actually matter?

I changed a parameter on my booking requirements and immediately got a booking that I am now very nervous about. I contacted Airbnb and asked about cancelling, but got two phone calls regarding "discrimination." (It's an age thing--I'm not comfortable with the age and size of the group coming and feel my discomfort is warranted.)

They said I could cancel but I would lose superhost status. I'm seriously wondering if it is worth hanging on to...I think if I had to decide, Instant Book is the feature that keeps people in bookings, while superhost status doesn't seem to mean much. Is this perception correct? I'd like a little more control and wonder if just letting go of superhost status is worth it. 

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

17 Replies 17
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There are other penalties for cancelling, Superhost is generally considered not a significant benefit.

David

I was willing to forego the earnings the booking would have brought in...are there any other penalties I should be aware of?

Blocked Calendar

Fine

Demoted ranking in the listings

David

Are you sure about the last two? When I spoke to someone at Airbnb, they weren't mentioned as penalties. 

Yes, listed on the web site.

You are talking with probably low paid call center staff who might have started yesterday.

David

I phoned before I tried to cancel, and I can tell you straight up that I was told I was discriminating and that I would lose superhost status. I do use instant book and I'm a superhost and so I thought that would protect me from at least some consequences.

The booking is genuinely worrying and I thought we had the right to cancel bookings without penalty, especially if we were genuinely uncomfortable and didn't do it a lot (I haven't). So I was surprised at the high level of "discouragement" I got when I voiced my concerns.

That's why I'm thinking of ditching the superhost status. If this ever happens again, where I would be willing to have the days booked off, lose the income, etc., I'd like to be able to do so. That's my real question. The worker did not say I would go down in the ratings.

I think they should tell us that before we make a decision. As it is, I'm going through with the booking, but will be hovering around like a hawk. The bars within staggering distance are my worry as are the more restrictive drinking ages in the many states and provinces around Quebec. It's well known that young people come here to party because of the lower drinking age and easy availability of booze. Sigh. 

Is this what you mean by "going down in the search rankings?" Because if it is, it's not very clear. Can anyone clarify? 

• Automated reviews: An automated review will be posted to your listing's profile indicating that you cancelled one of your reservations. These reviews can't be removed, but you can always write a public response to clarify why you needed to cancel.

Otherwise, there's nothing about going down in the search rankings, so I'm wondering where this is stated explicitly. 

If somebody searches your area, then instead of being on the first few pages for example you will be further down and less visible.

Last time I looked, and they keep changing it, a Superhost can cancel on line and just tick the box saying not comfortable with seemingly no penalties.

If within 48 hours they asked you to contact them but otherwise it seemed just an online no discussion situation.

Instant Book is definitely not for everybodys situation, I am on site but would not use it if I was not, for example.

David

It is my experience that you can easily decline a request, but much more difficult to cancel a reservation or booking that has already been made. I have a friend that had Superhost status but lost it after canceling an accepted reservation, so even Superhosts can't just cancel without consequences...

Instant Book doesn't give you a chance to 'vet' your potential guests, so once it's done, it's done and you are faced with this more tricky situation. I could never take a resrvation without doing some research, so Instant Book doesn't work for me - I am not that brave!

Hello @Eileen4,

The article below has this section:

Cancellations: If you do cancel on a guest, it can negatively impact where your listing appears in search.

what-factors-determine-how-my-listing-appears-in-search-results

Steve.

@Steve143 Thank you!

You can't just put the booze under lock and key? or remove it as an amenity before confirming the reservation in this instance? or just remove it and take the heat of a bad review possibly, which you would then have the chance to respond to.

Ron66
Level 2
Gurnee, IL

Ultimately your sense of feeling safe and comfortable with the guest(s) is the ace you have to throw down.

I became a superhost the last quarter of 2016 and did not retain it because I got one less five-star review than I needed. I felt very bummed, but to be honest I'm unclear on its actual worth in getting bookings as I did just fine without it.

As you said, the instant book option appears the ticket to ride for more frequent and continual reservations. I'm not at that comfort level yet, which is why my views to book percentage seems so low (less than three). Even still, I'm satisfied with the bookings I've been getting ... while also gunning for that superhost badge to be re-placed on my digital uniform! lol