Community Spotlight

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight

Community Spotlight Chair 2

Hello Everyone,

In February we launched the first Community Spotlight, where we got to know a little more about fellow community member @Andrea9,which was fantastic.

This month, we have been speaking with.....Gerry 🙂

Community Spotlight 2
London, United Kingdon

How long have you been hosting for and why did you first start?

We have been hosting for about a year and a half, but had created our listing about 6 months earlier. Like many people we were a bit nervous about the idea of people sharing our home: what sort of people would want to stay, would we feel comfortable having people we never met before in our home? We decided to take the plunge as Rashid was going back to full time acting, which as most actors know is a life style choice rather than a way of earning a good living. So, it offered the chance to bring in a fairly regular income to support that change in his working life.

Tell us a little about your listing

Our apartment is not that large, but probably by London standards bigger than many. We are lucky to have views from our flat across London and that’s one of the things that our guests love. It’s also incredibly quiet for London and in an area that has a great variety of people, shops, markets – many of which even Londoners have not visited!

What are the most important things you have learned about hosting?

First, your guests are just as nervous as you – they are coming to a stranger’s home and just want to see a friendly face, someone who will help them with their plans if they are new to your area. Make them feel welcome and relaxed.

Second – remember you need to take time off. As great as it is meeting people from all over the world, sometimes you need your peace and quiet. That’s why we usually only take guests Thursday to Monday. It can be tiring…

Finally – describe yourself and your interests, and include a few photos. You will tend to attract people who have a similar type of outlook and interests. It’s particularly important if you are just renting a room in your own home.

How long have you been part of the Community Center and why did you join?

We joined the Community Centre from the moment we started listing. We liked the idea that there were other people out there with the same concerns, questions and challenges who could help us. It was great to be able to read about some of the common questions that come up, particularly with regarding helping guests feel comfortable when staying with you. You also read different views – sometimes there is no right or wrong answer to a question and that’s what makes the individual contributions so helpful.

What is your favourite thing about the Community Center?

It’s great that people are willing to share their time and experiences with new hosts. Over time you also get a different perspective as to why people host and how they manage their time, their listings and make it enjoyable rather than stressful. You also learn about balance – not sweating the small stuff: accidents happen and it’s part and parcel of hosting.

What would be on your menu if cooking for a dinner party with friends?

If I am cooking then it’s Italian – or at least my take on it! I love cooking different types of risotto – some Italians have even been impressed… When Rashid cooks, then it’s Uzbek food – of which a rice-based dish called plov is the central focus.

If you could live anywhere other than the UK, where would it be and why?

Outside of the UK we love Spain: cities like Grenada, Madrid, Seville, and in particular, Palma. The food is wonderful and the culture is amazing. There is also so much variety in scenery and geography as you travel through Spain. So, that would be our number one location for a second home. However, there are so many interesting cities in Europe - we visited Lisbon last October and loved it from the minute we arrived. 

What activities would make up your ideal weekend away? 

Our ideal weekends away are spent exploring new cities – we love city life, the variety and history and the mix of people. You can walk for hours in a city and discover new things around the next corner. Cities are great at hiding new experiences that you will never find listed in any guide book. Perhaps growing up in the countryside means we go for the opposite experience when we go on weekends away.

Thanks you so much Gerry for taking the time to share a little about you. It is wondeful to read.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions of your own or leave any nice comments you might have. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

37 Replies 37

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

A bit late in catching up on sad events going on in your city as well as just now to read this... great to get a larger picture of you guys! And I agree that your to the point advice on the forum is welcome, positive, and very helpful. It also reminds me I ought to be less wordy - easier said than done! 😉

I always welcome different views and thoughts to issues. So important to get a different angle on things one may believe, and isn't happening enough with regard to local or global happenings. Nothing is ever black or white, it's the gray shades that create the real truth. So don't stop giving us those 'different' views!

Stay safe in a world that sometimes tends to feel as though it's going off its rocker big time.

Cheers, Andrea

Thanks @Andrea9 - it was not a good day, but London thrives on it's diversity and differences and that's what helps immensely. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

The very first question I asked on the forum was answered by @Gerry-And-Rashid0....and for the life of me I still don't know which one I am talking to!

I can't begin to tell you how much help you have been to me in the two years I have been here. Someone else said you are the wise men of the forum. I would possibly put it a bit differently.....you along with Deborah, Helga, Dave & Deb are the 'soul' of the forum.

Without you the quality of my hosting would have been considerably different.

There is no way I can repay you but, all I can say guys is....thanks for being you!

Cheers....Rob

@Robin4

Thank you guys - that's very kind of you and we get lots of support and ideas from everyone else - so it's a fair exchange!

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

@Gerry-And-Rashid0,

When I saw that the spotlight was on ye guys I couldn't open it fast enough.

Your informative, measured, considered, tell the truth when it's needed posts have help me a lot.

I started hosting 6 months ago for the income and ye've helped point the way to not "sweating the small stuff".

As Homer Simpson might say "Plov, mmmmm". None of my "takes" on it seem to live up to the original as I remember it, though 😞

Hope things go well with gooing back to acting, Rashid.

Steve.

@Steve143 

Thank you Steve! And I have fond memories of my University days in Limerick...a long time ago! Gerry

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I loved reading this!  (And five extra stars for giving Spain its richly-deserved props.)

I don't know what Uzbek food is so now I'm going to have to investigate that.

Thank you, @Gerry-And-Rashid0, for sharing your story.  Your serenity oozes out of every word.

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Lizzie

Thanks again for the Spotlight interview - I can see that this will become a monthly 'must read'.

As a result of reading about Rashid's plov dish and Gerry's Italian cooking - I have posted asking hosts for their fav recipes and treats for guests, and wondered how I might send a note or the actual post to a few of the hosts I know might be interested in contributing? I don't want to highjack this thread, nor do I want to personally message each host I know (unless that is the only way....). Advice please. The post title is "Airbnb Hosts Fav Recipes Collection??" .....

Thank you.

@Rachael26

Rashid will be adding a link to a plov dish!

Gerry

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

Getting hungry already!

would love to think of a connective segway from the recipe to Rashids impressive list of movies...... Airbnb's most famous movie star cooks plov! Perhaps a pic of him on set alongside the recipe!

best wishes to you both.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I've embedded the link to your thread in your comment @Rachael26! That will help people here find it. If you want to mention people in your thread, you need to find one of their posts somewhere, click 'reply', type @, select their name from the drop down list, then highlight and copy the whole @name and paste it into a new comment on your thread! It's a bit long-winded I know, but unfortunately that's the only way to do it at the moment!

Kirstie

Admire these guys, @Gerry-And-Rashid0. Always helping other hosts very patiently with accurate information and with atmost empathy. Keep going. Sending some love from India!

@Jeet0 Thank you Jeet...

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 Great to see you highlighted here!  I think you've been involved since it started over a year ago.  Love your short and sweet answers!  

Good job and congrats!

Clare

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

So many nice things has already been said. I agree to it all!

So I just wanted to say: nice to "meet" you @Gerry-And-Rashid0 🙂

Mariann 🙂