Communication prior to reservation

Heather145
Level 2
Natick, MA

Communication prior to reservation

Hello, I am a host and am starting to feel uncomfortable about an upcoming stay because the guest keeps avoiding two of my questions. 1) what time will you plan to arrive 2) what is the name of your fellow traveler. She responded only to the request asking her for a code to use for the front door, but has been silent on both of my other questions. I have asked her 3 separate times, and I have yet to receive a response. She is arriving next week. Thanks for your help

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about #1, @Heather145. I sometimes get arrival times the night before, and you mention a code, so it should prevent you from having to wait around for her. If you have guests leaving in the morning, you will have to change your listing so that check-in time is defined rather than flexible. The name of her fellow traveller shouldn't be a hard one, though, so you could try firming up the message you send: "Hello again, X. I really need to know the name of your fellow traveller and your estimated arrival time. I'm afraid it is policy, and we cannot move forward until you do."

Will something like that work? 

Often a failure to answer is just a "kids today" thing and not nefarious. To her, next week may seem ages away. 

That said, do go with your instincts after giving her a bit more time. You can contact Airbnb with your concerns.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You have her phone number too - it might be worth giving her a call, as she can't really dodge the question when it's asked verbally.

Lyn27
Level 2
Plymouth, MN

I  communicate to the guests that they have to identify themselves & whomever the plan to bring into my house before they get in my suite. If I suspect them of being under aged I require photo i.d. also. I never give my keyless code out prior to their arrival, as I let them know I will give it to them when they get my "Suite Tour", because I don't give their particular code (I change the codes for each guest)

until they are on their way here.

I have never had anyone bitch about that, because it is for their privacy & security. If they complain I suggest that they need to look elsewhere for their lodging because I live on site & demand respect of my hosting & neighborhood & property responsibilities. You need to put your foot down regarding who stays in your lodging place. After all it is your place. If you are an absentee host then I can

not abide with your methods. Letting strangers enter your neighborhood & home without your"hands on"  actual supervision is a mystery to me.. They have to agree to all your house rules prior to booking & if they do not then perhaps Airbnb needs to be more critical when they screen the account members prior to each booking.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Heather145  So were you able to get in touch and get the information you needed?

Ydonna0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I know this is quite an old thread but I too do not feel comfortable taking in a guest when they don't respond to me in a timely manner. I've only had this happen twice in the year that I've been hosting over 100 guests. Both of which were rude and obviously didnt bother reading the House Rules or Description of my Listing. I subsequently got bad reviews from these which I think is very unfair as they booked in agreement of my House Rules and Description. The question I have with this is if I am able to cancel a booking without penalty if I think that they are going to be an unruly guest? I currently have 'Instant Book' on and I can't find anything about cancelling an Instant Book guest without penalty.

Hi Ydonna, 

What ended up happening is that I waited the rest of the day to hear back.. but the upcoming guest never responded to certain questions that I had asked, while answering others.  I contacted Airbnb for help to figure out what to do about the situation, and their customer service was super helpful and understanding about the whole situation.  She read through all of our messages and agreed that the guest was being weirdly evasive of questions about who she was bringing and when she was coming. 

Customer service actually recommended that Airbnb cancel the reservation on my behalf because they wanted to make sure I felt safe and comfortable with who was coming into my home.  Additionally, not responding to these questions I was asking was actually breaking Airbnb guidelines, which is why I believe Airbnb had no problem cancelling.  The cancellation in no way affected my Superhost status and I did not receive any penalties.

As an FYI - I also have autobook turned on.  If the guests are not being compliant or being sketchy, Airbnb seems to always be very supportive when I need their help.