How often do you clean on longer term stays?

Answered!
SueEllen0
Level 4
Danville, VA

How often do you clean on longer term stays?

I am new to hosting, but am curious how often guests expect cleaning of the accommodations? Do other hosts clean during their guests stay for:

1 week? 

1 month?

multiple months?

My unit does have an abundance of towels and extra sheets in addition to a washer and dryer, but wondered if guests expect cleanings (aside from the deep clean prior to arrival) prior to their departure and what other hosts do?

Also, is it considered critical to request permission to enter prior to entering the unit? 

Thanks in advance!

SueEllen

1 Best Answer

Hi @SueEllen0,

I usually offer the guests fresh towels 3 days in and sheets on a weekly basis unless they would like them more often.  Since we live in the house, we just leave the sheets and towels on the door handle to the suite.  I am sure you cannot do this in an apartment as someone else might like your sheets more than your guests.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
SueEllen0
Level 4
Danville, VA

I also forgot to mention that cleaning supplies are also in the apartment.

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @SueEllen0,

We charge a $35 cleaning fee which covers the cleaning when the guest checks out.  We have had a month long booking, one for about 10 days and we have a friend whose mother will be staying with us for about a month and a half oustide of Airbnb.  With these longer stays, we change out the towels and provide a change of sheets to the guests.  We do this as we do not want the guests doing towels and bedding as we are very particular about how they are cleaned and we do not want them discolored which has happened in the past.  We provide the guests with a vacuum and cleaning supplies but also offer cleaning services at a cost which can be put through the resolution center.  

@SueEllen0, I don't really understand the last question.  If you are referring to somebody wanting to see your apartment before renting it, I would advise against this.  As long as you provide accurate pictures, there should be know reason why a guest would need to see your property before booking.  This also opens you up to scammers or people offering you cash and asking for a discount which you will not be protected by Airbnb.

I am sure others do this differently and maybe others will share what they do.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for the response. I am curious, though, how frequently you provide fresh linens. That does seem like a good solution, although the extra linens are already in the apt right now. For future reference, it would just be nice to know. 

The second question was not regarding a preview of the unit (although I have had requests for previews and appreciate your advise on that), but regarding entering the apt during a guests stay to perhaps provide fresh linens and remove old linens? I would assume that the guest would be contacted to notify them that you are entering the space, no?

Thanks!

SueEllen

Hi @SueEllen0,

I usually offer the guests fresh towels 3 days in and sheets on a weekly basis unless they would like them more often.  Since we live in the house, we just leave the sheets and towels on the door handle to the suite.  I am sure you cannot do this in an apartment as someone else might like your sheets more than your guests.

Dave

David

Hi Dave,

It is technically an InLaw suite, but is a full two bedroom apt with a full kitchen, LR, Bath, Laundry and two bedrooms all on the 3rd floor of my home (it was originally servants quarters). It is only accessible from inside my home though, so I could do something similar and think I will in the future. I also think I may launder the linens myself as I, too, would like to avoid mislaundering and discoloration. Your input has been very helpful. I am so glad this forum is here.

Thanks!

SueEllen

@SueEllen0

If your place has full laundry facilities, two sets would be ok so that they have a spare set while the other is laundered.  Unless your prices are 5* - in this case they might expect a 5* service as well.  Communicate these details to your guests before accepting to avoid any misunderstandings.

Thanks so much, Marit Anne.  My place is clean, quaint and comfortable, but I would not say 5* and neither are the prices, so I think your advise on simply communicating the terms of linen changing and cleaning up front is great advise. I only have my second guests right now and their stay is for 8 days. But next month, I have a couple with a child staying for the whole month and was wondering about the typical frequency of offering fresh linens or cleaning. I have already accepted their reservation, but can still communicate it to them now so there are no surprises. As I mentioned to Dave, I think I may launder the linens myself, simply to take better care of them, and offer a # for a local cleaning service (which they can contract for an extra fee), but also provide cleaning supplies within the space for their convenience.  Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. As a new host, it really is helpful!

SueEllen

I leave two sets of of towels, and since the apartment has a washer/drier, I assume guests will simply wash them if needed. I've rented the apartment for up to 3 months and I didn't visit it to drop off towels or clean.  In fact, before renting it for 3 months the guests alsked to look at the place, and I did not hesitate in allowing them.  I've gone in my place to do some minor repairs, etc, but always request permission and provide advance notice.

Elaine19
Level 1
Charleston, SC

Hi Sue Ellen! 

Congrats on your new Airbnb and welcome! 

In my four years of hosting, I've obsessed about cleaning and taking care of those rare longer stay guests (usually not more than two weeks.) If they were there for a couple of weeks, I would provide ample towels and extra linens, and I would also offer a complimentary cleaning day sometime after week one. This was, in honesty, to help me not to have too big a job if I had a same day turnover after a long stay. Nobody expected this of me and all were delighted that I would offer. But none of them really wanted it - anything more than I take out dirty towels and maybe vacuum a little. And my guests were usually super neat anyway. I would leave a checklist for checkout, and 99 percent of them would follow it. 

As for entering the space, I always saw that as a no-no. I would regard that space as sacred and rarely enter unless invited, and NEVER enter without permission. The guests need to feel that they can trust you, and even though it is your house, I would highly recommend steering clear of the rental space unless you've specifically agreed otherwise. Secure guests are happy guests!

Hope all goes well this season! Good luck and have fun! 🙂

Thanks! This is great feedback! I wonder if you would mind sharing your "Checklist for checkout"? That sounds like a great idea that I may want to implement, as well. 

Thanks again!

SueEllen

Hi @Elaine19!

we are new to hosting and came to the forum to check out what other hosts do about cleaning and its frequency. When I ready your comment, I became curious about your check out checklist, as I had not thought of that. Would you mind sharing yours as an example? Thank you!