Check payments are made after bookings.

Joan87
Level 3
Christchurch, NZ

Check payments are made after bookings.

I just want to remind hosts to make sure to check that payments are actually made. I had a booking in September and in January I got the email which normally comes the day following  checkin to say payment was being released . Payment came through shortly afterwards  (so payment was not stuck in bank system, it was delayed at the Airbnb end). I notified Airbnb of the problem a month ago and they were apolgetic but are still investigating why this happened. Just thought it is worth reminding hosts to check their transations against bookings as I was using the payout emails as my tracker which didn't work when the email wasn't sent 🙂

9 Replies 9
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Sometimes payments get stuck for currency issues. 

Looks like  @Joan87 is giving great advice to herself.

[inappropriate content removed]

As mentioned in the post, the payout was not sent by Airbnb for 4 months. It didn't get stuck  and came through promptly once sent.

This was my first post on the Community. Obviously I misunderstood the meaning of "community" but Just Travelling has made it clear. I can't wait until I get to level 10 and can cut newbies down with sarcasm.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joan87

You bring up a really good point Joan and it reminds us to continually check on the status of our listings. Lots of hosts are watching payouts like a hawk for one reason or another but it sounds that you, like me, are not in that situation and a payment can go astray without being noticed.

It is probably wise to frequently go into your account and click on 'Transaction History' and compare that with your bank statements! Because I only have around 10 hostings a month, I do this once a month, and have never had an issue but, it is an easy way to cross check.

Thanks Joan, good post!

Oh and one other thing, as a newcomer to the forum, if you wish to post to a particular contrubutor on that particular conversation thread. first hit the @ key  and the profile photo of other contributors on that thread will be displayed! Simply click the person you with to respond to, and that will then direct your post to that person rather than just been seen as a statement to the anonomous!

Cheers.....Rob 

@Joan87  Technically, the payment did get "stuck" but it was certainly held in AirBnB's bank account and it was their fault it was stuck.

I've historically seen a few reasons this happens and in most of the cases when you notify CX they can get the payment "unstuck" pretty quickly.  In other cases, as I suspect is in yours, the end of the year processing didn't balance out which caused someone to want to fix it.

1) foreign exchange rates can cause issues, especially if there was an alteration after the initial booking..   If the initial booking was at a currency exchange of, say 2.37  and the alteration is at a currency exchange of 2.36 then the math gets messed up in the system and there's some change left over on either end of the equation so the payment gets blocked.   

2) similarly, when there's Occupancy tax collected and there's an alteration, rounding error in the tax can cause this too.     I've been told that this specific issue is fixed and shouldn't happen anymore.  I've experienced it twice last year but not since then.

3) you issue a partial refund--again, I believe this only gets mucked up when either there is tax or exchange rate issues.

If they're not paying you within a week when you call, call back and ask for a supervisor.  My personal opinion is that airbnb should pay you and sort out the pennies later.   if you owe them money they can take it back out of a future payment if they underpay you by a small amount they can remit it along with another payment later on, but holding on to a large sum (especially while they earn interest on that money in the bank) because of bugs in their system aren't the best solution.

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Joan87 You've given other hosts a good reminder, which is appreciated & I thank you for that. Please don't be put off - there are so many wonderful contributers here, and  I for one can't thank enough for all the help they've been to me. They are a godsend to new hosts (& more experienced ones too!) Great to see you here & please jump in! - Karen

Samina0
Level 1
Malaysia

Airbnb even pay host even if guest was unable to pay directly to airbnb

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Joan87,

A warm welcome to the Community Center (CC). My name is Lizzie and I am the Online Community Manager here. Thank you for starting this post here and highlighting to the rest of the community about this. As you say there was a little bit of a delay in January, which has all been resolved now, but it checking this regularly in generally is definitely a good practice to get into - thanks for sharing. 

As @Karen-and-Brian0 has mentioned I hope you will continue to explore the CC, there is a great group of people here and there are lots of fantastic tips and hosts supporting one another. 🙂

I look forward to speak with you again.

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Panagiotis6
Level 1
Xanthi, Greece

I haven't get my earnings for my recent host from the Airbnb. What i have to do? How i can reach the airbnb to rezolv my problem?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Panagiotis6

Give them a call or contact them via Twitter. Full contact details 2nd post Community Help forum.