Changes to check-in/check-out - impact on existing bookings

Emily145
Level 8
Takoma Park, MD

Changes to check-in/check-out - impact on existing bookings

I initially listed my property with a flexible check-in and 5 PM check-out. I do keep a gap night in between guests, so I have all evening to turn over the unit even if the guest is arriving early the next day, but I'm finding that I want to build myself more time than that, and institute a noon check-in/noon check-out so I have minimum 24 hours to turn over.

I have several bookings for the next couple of months. Does changing my check-in/check-out time impact those bookings, or must I honor the terms at the time of their booking? 

I'd love to just be able to have people out of there by noon from this day forward, but I'm not sure if AirBnB requires me to honor the times listed when they first booked, similar to how they would honor the original price if I changed my listing price. 

I wouldn't want to leave anyone scrambling so I would offer to hold their luggage and direct them to a nearby coffee shop or similar, if someone had been counting on arriving early or leaving late. I just want to be able to know I can schedule the cleaners to come at 1 PM and know the unit won't be occupied.

9 Replies 9
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Emily145 that s actually a very good question,

I decide on arrival and departure time to arrange me best but never thought how this parameter can impact booking velocity. 

Change in house rules /timing - with regards to previous bookings you need to do as promised - simply imagine you are one of these guests. . . 

Keep up the good work

Adrian92
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

We clearly state that check in is between 6pm - 9pm  during the week as we work.  We can often be flexible, but I had to cancel a recent request as they wanted someone else to collect the keys and wouldn't get to ours until after midnight.  As they didn't ask this question before booking I was left with no option than to cancel them.  Airbnb allowed me this first cancellation with paying a fee, but sent a couple of emails telling em not to do it again.  I don't see why I should be penalised for someone who does accept the check in or check out times, or at the very least asks if this is ok before booking.  We have and will always try to be flexible but I think this shouldn't penalise hosts who have clearly stated check in times.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Adrian92

It's always easier to make a separate post when you have a query - rather than posting on someone else's post as it causes confusion.

In answer to your question if you had contacted Airbnb and asked them to cancel the booking as it didn't meet your check in times rather than cancellling it yourself - you wouldn't have lost your 'free cancellation'.

Do have a look at their help section lots of useful information including using Instant Book. 

Adrian92
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen. I still cannot find how to contact Airbnb via the website. I followed one of the community sections but got nowhere.

Adrian, next time when guest asks to change check-in simply say "no" and DO NOT CANCEL.  The guests need to honor the rules or THEY can cancel and be penalized.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

hi @Emily145

You can't change the terms and conditions your guests have booked under and must honour them.

Going forward I agree it's much more sensible to have check in's from the afternoon and checkouts by midday.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have a 11am check out and the vast majority are gone well before that, see no point in anything later.

Changes do not impact exisiting booking, I have a couple of spots in the year which are off season so tend to do any changes then, otherwise you just need to note which are old and which are new bookings.

David
Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

The guest's confirmation includes the check-in/out times as listed when they booked and you must honor that. Your check-in and out times are extraordinarily generous, in my experience, and would still be very generous with the change in the future. I can't imagine it would affect your bookings.

@Emily145, as said above, all conditions valid at the time of the booking stay valid, whatever you change afterwards. 

However, you can write to the guests asking if they already know their planning, that you changed your times as you had some changes in your job/life. "Would it be possible, that you arrive within the new check-in times and check out before noon? Luggage can be stored longer if necessary. If that poses a problem, I'll adapt to your planning within the original check-in and -out times, but ask you to inform me of your planning asap, as I have to organise my shedule to allow that."

I changed my times from 11am/3pm to 10 am/5pm and that did change my guests a bit. More business guests, less tourists, but overall as many stays.