Canceling a reservation

Canceling a reservation

Hello.

My husband and I have been operating our AirBnB for over 3 years now.  

Recently we accepted a booking from an individual from Romania, who had verified his offline ID and initially seemed just like a normal tourist.  However, in the days since accepting the booking I have received messages and request that are making us uncomfortable.  He has asked us to obtain a guest pass for him to visit the White House and the Pentagon in DC (we live in Memphis!).  He has also stated that he will be in New Orleans before his arrival in Memphis, but that he will not have access to the internet while there and so will not be able to communicate with us (I don't understand how that is possible).

My husband and I very much wish to cancel this reservation, but are wary to do so since it will cost us our superhost status (a status that we have earned and maintained for over 3 years).  

I would love to talk directly to AirBnB about this guest, but haven't been able to access anyone from the team.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Sarah

2 Replies 2

As a Superhost, if you call from the phone number that you have listed on your profile, they will see that in queue and you will be given priority.  However, since you don't have Instant Book turned on, Airbnb will likely tell you that this is a "host cancel" and you will be held to the penalties that come with cancelling. But you can and should call and ask.  Let us all know what they say.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

First choice is try to convince him to cancel.

e.g. "Are you sure you are wanting to come to Memphis, it is Very Far from DC..."

Promise him a full refund of your fee, regardless of your policy.

2nd choice is to let airbnb help you, you may get lucky.

3rd choice is accept him, but take contral.

You've been in the business 3 years, so you do understand that many foreigners' phone service does not work in the US.

Inconvenient, but not nefarious. But you must control checkin time. Give him a window of time. "Unless we hear otherwise, you can check in at 5-6 pm ..."

4th choice is to cancel him blocking the time period, getting penalized and losing your superhost ranking. But that is a small price for your well-being. It's your house, screw Airbnb.