Being at the bottom of the list

Susan21
Level 5
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile

Being at the bottom of the list

I have been an airbnb hostess since 2011. One would think that due to my reviews I would be at the top of the list. Not so. Only newcomers are on the top.

At first I used Airbnb income to pay upkeep. Now it barely pays enough to wash the sheets.

I think that totally unfair. I think Airbnb should promote its long time hosts and hostess with records like mine before all other potential hosts.

119 Replies 119
Jana-and-Stephen0
Level 1
False Pass, AK

Ah, the good old days... I remember when there were only a dozen airbnb locations in our city! Certainly made it easy to stand out.

Now, we've had to up our game so to speak: better pictures of our place, better linens, more appliances and goodies in the kitchen, etc.

Airbnb also has the new(ish) Superhost badge that one can earn with fast respond times and after only a few guests have left high-star reviews. I don't know whether the Superhost designation is available in your country, but it might be worth looking into!

My advise is to try to achieve Superhost status.  It is hard and sometimes frustrating work, but I have observed that Superhosts are often at the top of the listings.  (I am not sure what Airbnb's policy is for the order of their listings.  It would be good to know.)  Are you just good enough, or do you try to provide an outstanding experience that your guests want to go home and tell their friends about?

For me, I try to apply the same standards that I have experienced myself in a luxury resort.  Of course I cannot reach those standards, but the at least the trying makes my guests' experience a hell of a lot better.

Maybe you should go stay at a Superhost's property and see what it is that makes them different.  

Andrew sounds like good advice.

I am hoping to become a superhost in the near future.

Enjoy your guests and give them an enjoyable experience in your home.

Kind regards Mary

superhost...all you need is one guest to act like they are staying in the Ritz Carlton and you will not achieve this.

Airbnb has quickly become about money for them, they don't care about who makes them that money.  

They went from a ''social'' company, to a heartless Corporation overnight.

So it seems this way!  I have always had very good reviews and feedback. Recently had a very disgruntled guest, it was hot when she arrived, I was two minutes away, she thought she had place to herself (although) my site does not say this. She complained about everything, now air BnB are saying I may be suspended?? I can't believe this? There seems to be no rights for hosts?  They do not seem to listen to what the hosts are saying or realise it's possible to have a demanding unrealistic guest.

I want to address this because personally I have had very few horrible guests and when I have Airbnb has been on my side and things were resolved to my satisfaction. BUT I have a friend that I introduced to hosting and she has had more than her share of problem guests and has yet to have a good CS experience or for Airbnb to support her & I have heard this from other hosts. So, why are my experiences producing a positive outcome for me? 

1- Document everything, especially related to the guests issue. I take photos with time stamp after my cleaner leaves and before the new guest checks in & I take time stamp photo when they check out.

2- Keep as much of your communication with guests in the Airbnb system; this helps in documenting complaints and your efforts to resolve, and Airbnb can quickly access them to read what guest & host each say. ** Keep all your communication professional, non-emotional & to the point of the problem. If statements have been made in person or via text or phone refer to those so they now become documented on the Airbnb thread. ie. Per our conversation on the porch concerning....

3- Call Airbnb as soon as the problem arises. Often the first person to call in & tell their version of the problem gets the advantage & sympathy of the CS agent, so they don't intend to take a side, but it is human nature, so get your side told first.

4- When communicating with CS stay professional, keep emotions out of it. Be detailed specific to the problem and don't go off on a tangent. State when you have done to resolve the problem or what you are waiting on to resolve the issue. CS has told me in the past, "We appreciate that you are doing so much to solve the problem, because some hosts do not." Yes, some guests make crazy demands, but as much as possible I do try to meet them and that effort goes a long way with Airbnb CS.

5- If you have damages that require financial ompensation it is a good idea to have receipts of the original item and provide receipts for the replacement or repair cost.

6- There is truth to the saying, "You catch more flies with honey" be nice to the problem guest, and definitely be nice to the AIrbnb CS.

For me, attitude is everything and I can not controll a demanding or ungrateful guests attitude, but I do controll my own attitude and I try to approach problem guests with gratitude for bringing to light something that I might be able to use to improve all my future guest experiences. Yes, some guests have unrealistic expectations, or they have an image in their head and when they arrive it doesn't match. That is why you want to be transparent in your Airbnb description, do not oversell with misleading terms to get bookings because you want a happy guest, not a disappointed guest. Hope this helps.

GentleHart0
Level 3
Ringwood, United Kingdom

Many thanks for your words of wisdom.  We are about to start hosting and your experiences are really helpful.

Gwyneth

I agree with everything you said. I have had a couple problem guests...and i called Airbnb first to report the circumstances. One guest I requested to leave and she ended up deleting her profile, another trashed my kitchen and dining room the day before they were to leave and they deleted their profile, and stole property of mine which Airbnb promptly reimbursed me. As soon as I saw trouble on the horizon I communicated with Airbnb and also made sure my communications with the guest were on the platform, when possible. Thus far they have been wonderful to me.

Jono0
Level 2
Kanchanaburi, Thailand

Those messages are very irritating and very nasty. We are the only listed property for 100k's. Yet their algorithm will only list us sometimes, most times not. We don't get many visitors where we are and I cannot understand why AirBnB believe they are doing us and the visitor looking for us, a favour by promoting other establishments that are over an hour out of their way.  It should be obvious that a fix is needed. But all we get are platitudes and those nasty messages. 

Andy25
Level 3
Picton, New Zealand

Interesting what you are saying about guest expectations, some people seem to want to pay for a campsite but expect the facilities of a 5 star resort.  I am finding that it pays to check guests carefully before accepting the booking, any doubts as to whether they are a good match for my place and I say no.

Jean150
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I must say something, probably sounds like a moan, but hey I don't care. My reviews are very good, I had a fellow stay here and he just had to be picky, some people are like this. A good breakfast every morning. Clean and tidy house, unlike some I have heard about, most reviews have said nice warm cosy and that I am lovle, well this one guest on leaving, my reivew was light switch needs doing, I said light switch is work in progress, and a shower unit should be in the bathroom, if I wanted to install a shower unit I will do it, but come to my house, its a real bath with shower attachment all clean and tidy show and hair products provided, lovely white fluffy towels. Now lets talk about the guest, every day to the toilet leaving it smothered for my eyes to see......poo everywhere up to the seat, yuk, and the bedroom he was in stinks. Wet clothes not dried properly and the smell was appalling, clearing his throat and snot gobbling at the table, and blowing his nose, some people are disgusting, one light fixture indeed. Pah.

I hope you said this in his review because I do not want him for a guest! I often find that the least demanding guests are the cleanest and leave the best reviews and my worst reviews have come from the dirtiest, needist, worst guests.

Pedro190
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

That is absolutely true! But usually everything in life ends up being like that...

"superhost...all you need is one guest to act like they are staying in the Ritz Carlton and you will not achieve this."

- not really true Stuart, to achieve/keep the superhost badge you need to have 80% of 5-star reviews