Alteration policy as a fair solution!

Soren3
Level 2
Bergen, Norway

Alteration policy as a fair solution!

I just had an alterration that was quite significant. It went from 10 days to 3 days and its only 2 weeks until they arrive. I could choose to not accept it but surely would risk a bad review and also I want to be acommodating as I believe this should be a fair transaction for both guests and hosts. I accepted it but have now been thinking, was this a fair transaction?

AirBnB have a cancellation policy which I think works great, but no alteration policy. Yet both cancellation and alteration are very similar.

It would be great if there was an alteration policy. Just a thought. If a booking is altered, days that become "unbooked" will be considered cancelled and with a strict policy, that means only 50% of the amount for theese days are paid back. You can as host still choose to be fair and pay back the full amount in case you manage to get those days rebooked by other guests, just like with a cancellation.

Having the policy in the system makes it more fair I think, both for guests and hosts.

I would like to hear what other hosts think about this and maybe if there are any chance or hope that AirBnB will actually consider implementing an alteration policy.

Thx and good hosting.

2 Replies 2
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Soren3 Your point is very well taken.  Especially when someone books a long term stay (where the cancellation is very severe) and then wants to alter to a short term stay.  I would recommend you make your suggestions in Host Voice. 

As a host I would consider how far in advance the guest wanted to alter the reservation and the reasons for altering.  I would not be held hostage to a potential review as I know I could contact Airbnb to have them take a look if I thought it was a "revenge" review.  Also, you can always respond to reviews you feel are unjustified.  I recently saw a response to a review that started out "This review is hilarious considering....." It was very effective in nullifying the guest's review. 

You have to balance customer service (how would you like to be treated if you were in the guest's shoes?) with a business decision that makes sense for you. 

Thx @Clare0. I was not aware of the Host Voice, but will take it there.