Airbnb Hosts Fav Recipes Collection??

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

Airbnb Hosts Fav Recipes Collection??

Hello All!

I just read the great article in the Community Spotlight about our fellow London hosts Gerry & Rashid - and they shared some great advice, tips and stories from their experiences with Airbnb. Check out the article (www.community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Community-Spotlight/m-p/353454#M80274)

They also mentioned a couple of favorite recipes (Rashid enjoys cooking Uzbek food and a rice-based dish called plov) and I was wondering about other hosts in all the other countries Airbnb is in (I saw a post the other day from Mongolia - who knew?!) and wondered if anyone else thought it might be a cool idea to collect together hosts favorite recipes? As a starter idea - we could ask for two from each - a favorite dish provided for guests (breakfast, dinner, welcome snacks, pillow chocolates, whatever), and their own favorite dish or recipe - either personal or representative of their area/nationality. Or any other ideas? I wouldn't mind helping to collate ideas/recipes if anyone else thought it might be something to progress with - and who knows - it might become a best seller (and we can retire from hosting and live on royalties.... dreaming on.....)

Of course I am only a newbie host so this may have been done already - if so, will someone please send me the link. 🙂

Best Wishes.

41 Replies 41

Awh, thanks for the positive feedback Rachael, that really made my day. I love the idea of taking a photo of the finished waffles, waffle maker and ingrediants etc out in the wilds of Iceland...don't know why I didn't think of that! I live just metres away from the beginning of the biggest lava flow on planet earth. Guess where I be heading some time soon. Thanks for the idea!

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

bring your food to dinner

Saturday night I was invited with friends. It started as a joke with the usual question, what should I bring, the wine, the bread, … a roast? Challenge taken, a roast was not easy to transport across Paris, using two metro lines, so I improvised food, that can be prepared and warmed up later. I bought the pork and the mushrooms, used the occasion to clear out some rests before leaving for 3 weeks.

Rice - one of the dinner guests had donated the rice cooker to us, so that cooks itself.

Mushrooms: Cut 2 small pink onions in chunks, a bit of garlic, roast that in olive oil (avoiding to roast the parrot too, who is fishing for onions)

Add white and brown mushrooms, a bit of wine (white would be better, but red wine worked well), some Provence herbs, salt, cover and let simmer. 

Two small tenderloins, clean generously (as there are a black cat and a parrot waiting for cut offs), cut in the meat into thick slices, cover one side with Dijon mustard. Cut some garlic and ginger in small chunks, roast it in olive oil with (red) pepper corns and pumpkin seeds (using up rest, almonds would work).     

Add the meat, roast mustard side first, then the other, only a bit brown. 

Add a few slices of pear (or any fruit), two table spoon full of confit d’oignon (jam would do, but take only a small spoon full). Add a bit of curry and a bit of cognac. Switch off heat. 

That dish needed something sour, white wine or lemon juice. At my friend’s place, she contributed the white wine when we warmed the dish. The meat needs to be still soft, if you squeeze it with the back of a spoon, to be just a bit pinkish inside. 

Nothing left over, but I had put one portion in the fridge for my guest.      

No picture - it seems I can't add pictures any longer. Nor links ;-(         

IMG_9402.jpg

Images are still possible, but I have to start with them and click on the empty place, where the Insert Image button used to be.

@Helga0

I love the 'bring something to dinner' ingredients and recipe! Sounds really tasty and thanks for posting the photo. So tell me more about your parrot and black cat. Perhaps we could go with a Parisian Chic Parrot and his favorite treats or experiences with guests (or just living in the most glamorous city in the world!). 

Best Wishes.

@Rachael26, the black cat is a sqatter. It belongs to the neighbours, but lives mostly on my garden table.

The parrot, Auguste, lives freely in my atelier, only banned to my room, when guests are here. But he loves taking breakfast with guests (in a small cage).

All our parrots loved cooking, but Auguste especially is adicted to olive oil, which he tries to lick out of the pan, or fish out an ingredient and lick it from that. Even onions, which he would not eat. To avoid any risk from hot pans and protect the food, I usually give him a drop or two on a small saucer. If he finds something high enough to sit on and reach the top of the oil and vinegar bottles, he opens them. 

There are not even olive trees in regions where his species comes from ...

Marie3
Level 4
Northfield, MN

I have a shared house set up. Our house is a split level and the guests get most of the lower level. I provide a small refrigerator, coffee pot and electric kettle so tea and coffee can be had any time (coffee and tea provided). There is nothing else for them in terms of cooking. 

I provide a simple, continental breakfast. It has homemade granola with almonds or walnuts, homemade baked goods (muffins. quick breads), homemade yogurt with fruit, whole fruit, juice and milk. Overall guests seem to really love it. I've gotten some over-the-top comments about how much they like it. I think it's fine but am surprised at how well it goes over. I've had guests ask for the granola recipie so had it saved in my messages. I've yet to write out the yogurt recipie ( I us a slow cooker--super easy) Will do another post with a couple of the quick bread/muffin recipies. Making my own saves me money and provides a tastier breakfast. I've yet to do photos, but really should. I put effort into the presentation for the guests, so it should photograph pretty well. 

Here is the recipie for:

GRANOLA- Almond Honey or (Maple Cinnamon Walnut--subsitute items in parentheses if making Maple Cinnamon Walnut)
Makes 4 cups

1 C Almonds chopped (Walnuts) or nut of choice
3 c Old-Fashioned oats-slow cooking
1/2 t Salt (I do not add this if the nuts have salt on them)
1/4 C Brown sugar
1/4 C Honey (Maple Syrup)
3 T Coconut oil (I use unrefined-it has a stronger coconut taste, also sweeter)
(1-2 t Cinnamon--how much do you like cinnamon)
1 t vanilla

Parchment paper
Cookie sheet

Preheat oven to 350

Combine nuts, oats, brown sugar, salt in bowl. Stir.
In small microwaveable bowl, combine honey (maple syrup), coconut oil, (and cinnamon) heat for 40 sec. Stir to dissolve oil. Add vanilla.
Pour the honey (maple syrup) mixture over the oats, and stir until evenly coated. Lots of stirring.
Spread oats mixture evenly onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Press oat mixture into pan with back of large spoon or metal spatula.
Bake for 6 min - stir - press down again into pan. Bake 6 min. (sometimes I do 7 min. depends on your oven)
After cooling break into clusters. (I find the honey almond will make clusters, but the Maple Walnut doesn't-- guess honey is stickier) Store in airtight container. Can be frozen.

You can top with (or mix in) you favoritee dried fruit. Great with milk, on top of yogurt, or for snacking by the handful!

@Marie3

I love it! Thank you for your response and recipes. I think your home-made original granola and the yoghurt will be a must for the recipe book.... and I have read your listing and the wonderful reviews - and most mention your excellent (customised?!) breakfast so well done.

A selection of photographs would be brilliant - and hopefully useful for you and your listing as well - I can just visualize a lovely breakfast tray with all your goodies on it.

Best Wishes and I will be in touch again for more detail. I love Minnesota (my cousin and Aunt live in Minneapolis) so I am extra glad to get such a great contribution from the North Star State.

The custumized comment came from a woman who chose not to eat flour, so she did not want the baked goods. I gave her a small cup of nuts or seeds (pumpkin & sunflower) each day which she greatly prefered to the baked goods. If a guest tells me they have celiac disease I will make gluten free granola and baked goods. I send out a message about the breakfast about a week before arrival and ask them to let me know about allergies and if they just don't care for something. This way I have less waste and they get what they like. I will also substitute almond milk for dairy milk (same woman didn't drink dairy milk) It's pretty easy and so far the "picky" eaters have been very grateful and have been easy guests in all other ways. 

More than half my guests don't drink milk, 1/3 does not eat yoghurt either. Whenever I buy soj yoghurt however, there will be no soja eater come till it's at the end of the shelf life. I thought about the almond milk, as that comes in small packages too.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rachael26

Hey Rachael, I have posted this before but there are many newcomers so it possibly will stand repeating. On many occasions I will prepare a dinner for guests, but I make sure that the meals I prepare I can do in advance so that when that question comes...."would you guys like to join us in a bite to eat" the meal just comes out of nowhere!

One of my favourites is Salmon Wellington. The only down side of this dish is trying to get the fillo pastry to cooperate. I have tried everything to get those sheets to seperate from leaving the pack in the fridge overnight, covering the sheets with a moist tea towel but I still have difficulty!

Here is the end product and then the method.....

ep07-Salmon_Wellington-700x404.jpg

I sweat off a good size sliced Leak in a pan of light oil...for about 30 seconds! You still need a bit of crispness there in the completed dish, remove from the heat and then add that to a packet of fresh Dill...(Dill and Salmon are a match made in heaven!) and then mix with chives and a tub of spreadable cream cheese and set aside.

If I am really trying to impress the guest I will buy a side of skinless Salmon from the local fish shop, but if I want to do it on the cheap I will purchase even sized skinless Salmon portions from the supermarket. I run a knife down the length of the side and fold the two halves together (one on top of the other) to form a thick long block of salmon.

Now that bloody Fillo pastry! I attempt to separate the fillo sheets painting each sheet liberally with butter. I place two sheets one way and then two sheets the other way and repeat the process all the while brushing each sheet with the melted butter until I have 8-10 sheets which form a tray about 50cm (20in) by 35cm (14in)! I place the length (or pieces of Salmon) on the pastry and spread a really thick coating of the cream cheese, Leak, chive and Dill mix on top of the Salmon and then roll the mixture up folding in the ends and  brush liberally with butter and sprinkle poppy seeds on top of the completed roll.

At this point it can go in the fridge until required, so basically all the preparation is pre-done....nothing to interupt good socializing and drinking time!!

When the time comes for food I put into a 180 fan forced oven for 30 minutes....25 minutes and it will definitely be on the pink side, 35 minutes and it will be overdone, (which some people like) I serve with a few fried fresh asparagus spears and a mushroom roasted in butter.

I can tell you now, the oughhs and aaahhs are breathtaking....and it just seems to come from nowhere.

Next, I will post the worlds best Risotto, and Chicken an Leak pies.

Cheers.....Rob

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

My mouth is watering.... that looks and sounds delicious @Robin4!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kirstie....Oh it is Kirstie...and it looks like restaurant quality food! But it is so easy to do as long as you remember that the Wellington is the hero of the dish! Less is more, don't overdo the condiments.

For a while I tried placing the Wellington on a bed of asparagus puree and adding smashed parmesan peas and fried sliver shavings of deep fried parsnip and although it looked great, it was more work and the flavours started to become a bit confused, so now, I just keep it looking simple and ellegant.

It's a great dish Kirstie, give it a try, you can't muck it up and your guests will look at you in awe when you serve it.

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

Thank you so much for the recipe and the photo - it's a definite for the book - and from the Host with the Most - a winning combination! 🙂

I am curious when you mention the fish market when you buy the salmon - is that nearby your listing? I would love to see a pic of it if you think it is photo worthy..... let me know what you think. And I think I may be speaking on behalf of all when I say we look forward to the Rissotto and the Chicken & Leek Pie!

Best Wishes.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rachael26 Hey Rachael, love this thread but your down to page 6 so it needs a kick along!

There is not much you can't buy in our town, although it probably should not be called a town any more...there are 34,000 people in this community now, and yes we have a fish shop....

IMG20170328114225 2.jpg

IMG20170328114309 2.jpg

All seafood here is fresh, straight out of the Southern Ocean guaranteed cleanest in the world, no pollution where this comes from!

And on to that Risotto. Now this is not the traditional way were you stand there patiently and ladle stock into the rice stiring all the while. Apart from the frying off of the meat component all steps are done in the microwave...and before you say that would be just cr*p, try it...it's brilliant!

This recipe serves 3-4:

Ingredients:

1 cup of Pumpkin (Queensland Blue is best)

60 Gms (2+ oz) of Butter.

1 Large Onion chopped.

1 ½ cups of Arborio Rice.

½ cup of dry white wine. Nah, bung in a bit more!

3 cups of Chicken stock.

1 bunch of Asparagus, or 2 if you like asparagus

¾ to 1 cup of sliced small Mushrooms.

1 cooked chicken breast (cubed) or 1 cup of smoked salmon if you like something different.

2-3 tablespoons of sour Cream.

2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Method:

Apart from the fried off cubed chicken, all steps are done in the microwave. I heavily season the chicken breast with pepper and salt and Morocan seasoning and fry the chicken in a pan while waiting for step 7 to complete!

1/. Firstly microwave the cubed Pumpkin for 4 minutes on high, and set aside.

2/. Cover for all steps and microwave on high!

3/. Heat butter in large casserole or microwave safe covered bowl for 1 minute.

4/. Add chopped onion and stir – 2 minutes.

5/. Stir in rice – 1 minute

6/. Add wine and stir– 1 minute

7/. Add stock and stir – 17 minutes

8/. Add vegetables and fold in – 5 minutes

9/. Stir through Chicken / salmon and top with sour cream, lemon and pepper!

Bon Appetito!

Cheers.....Rob

That's an interesting recipee, thanks for the idea ! Last time in the supermarket, I had some granola bars in hand, read the ingredients and put them back. That one is safe, I have to try that!