Accepting bookings without reviews

Sarah71
Level 1
Melbourne, Australia

Accepting bookings without reviews

Hi,

Any suggestions of how I can protect myself if I accept a booking without reviews?

I have a 1 month request - seems super sincere and ideal, but has no reviews which concerns me.

Interested in stradegies.

Thanks

Sarah

3 Replies 3
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah71

Sarah, we all had to start from somewhere and, sure, no reviews is a worry! But hey, you're a superhost with more than 60 trips under your belt! You must have developed a gut feel by now in assessing requests. Has this guest placed any conditions on you? Have they made any special requests? You have obviously established a reasonable message stream, and have you asked for a reference from someone else that you can verify?

I can understand that this could be a worry to you but I would ask as many questions as possible without making a d*ck of yourself and trusting the gut feeling you must have built up in the time you have been hosting.

The one thing that hosting does teach us Sarah is how to be a good judge of character.

The only thing that would concern me is the length of the booking. Although I do long term hosting for the International Education Service I would be reticent to take on a one month Airbnb booking! Anything longer than three weeks alters a tenants occupancy rights, and it does sort of cramp your review window somewhat! I would far rather have 6 reviews in a month than one!

Cheers.....Rob

Sarah71
Level 1
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Rob - All you say makes sense - 

I don't mind 1 month bookings and to date have not had any problems with a guest (touching wood!)....

I do feel good about this request, husband and wife coming to see their daughter who has just had a baby - feel good story...from Great Britian.

Interested in reasoning for not liking 1 month bookings -- and also curious about renter rights when dealing with bookings of this length --- It frightens me that I should ever be caught in a situation of a tenant not leaving!!

Cheers

Sarah

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah71

Sarah, I average around ten hostings a month and I am comfortable with that because in most instances I get a few days in between hostings. On the debit side you do tend to feel like a professional housekeeper when you have to strip a bed, wash linens and towels, vacumm floors and clean wet areas and restock 3-4 times a week!

But on the plus side when you long term host, you do tend to feel like a prisoner in your own space! You can't go anywhere you like. I can't go out in the back yard and have a f*rt when I feel like it for fear that it will be noticed.

I do like the break between guests. However, I think I set some sort of Airbnb record last night. I was working here on my computer and it was 9.15pm and I received an instant booking confirmation for the same night....last night!! They were coming from Melbourne and would arrive in 30 minutes from the time of booking. S*it hit the fan but I did do it. The cottage generally sits ready, I just turn on the hot water service, put out some fresh fruit and cheese plate, a quick last minute vacumm, some milk, eggs and bacon in the fridge, a couple of chocies on the bedside tables, and it's good to go.

Sometimes it's tough, but it's nice to be adaptable and I am sure I will get a good review out of this couple.

I admire what you do Sarah but I would not want to do it.

This British couple sound fine....Sarah, in 90+ hostings I have never had a bad egg and I am sure this experience of yours will be one you will look back on with pleasure after they have gone....go for it!

Cheers.....Rob