90 day rule and listing categories

Sylvie4
Level 2
London, GB

90 day rule and listing categories

Hi,

My name is Sylvie and I'm a host in London. We offer two rooms in our house for families; a large double and a small room for children. It works very well and we are booked up all year. Now here's the problem. The listing categories are: Shared Room, Private Room or Entire Home/Flat. What we offer isn't any of these, we offer a Homestay Bed & Breakfast - two rooms at a time. So how do we list it? Well, if we put Shared, no one is interested. If we put Private, no one is interested. If we clasify it as Entire Home/Flat then it works well for us, but we always have to point out to our guests that the guests share the house with my husband and me and although they have access to most parts of the house, we don't allow them to use the kitchen for cooking. We do however provide Bed & Breakfast. Does this sound familiar to some of you?

Now here's the problem! If we stay with our listing as "Entire Home/Flat " then we are subject to the 90 day rule. So that means we will have to change it to "Shared" or "Private", which as I said, doesn't work. The way round this is to have a 4th category which is "Homestay" where the guests stay with the hosts (B&B) which isn't subject to the 90 day rule - easy!!!!

So, one and all, please try to lobby Airbnb if this additional category would suit you too, either by calling them:

United States +1-415-800-5959 +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Ireland+353 1 697 1831
UK0870 183 0620

Or writing on this "conversation" agreeing we need a new category and hoping Airbnb will take note. If they don't then we and them are going to lose a lot of business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Sylvie4 - you can't list it as a whole house listing because it's not and guests could quite rightly complain they have been misled.

Why don't you call Airbnb and ask their advice on how you set up your listing.

What you are offering is clearly private rooms (with breakfast) I am just not sure how you set it up so that you link the two rooms together in the same listing.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sylvie4

Hi Sylvie - it's a private room and you happen to provide breakfast.

There is lots of interest in London for private rooms - we are full most of the time. We proviide a light breakfast.

Sandie10
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hello,
Yes, I have a similar problem.

There is no airbnb category for my listing either.

The categories are : 

Entire place .... 

Private room .... 

Shared room.

I think airbnb need to have another listing category, maybe :   'Suite of Rooms' 
or maybe   'Private rooms in home'

I live in London and I rent out 3 rooms at the top of my home.
There's a private bedroom, bathroom and kitchen for the sole use of the guests but the guests have to use the same entrance and stair well as me and there is no door to separate my home from the guests space.

I have listed my space as   'Entire place'   but as I live in my home with the airbnb guests and I do not let out my whole home I feel the 90 day rule should not apply to me.

I'm sure there must be a lot of people having a problem with this ??
Sandie

Sandie10
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Sylvie for showing the UK contact number I'll ring them as well as messaging them,

Sandie

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Sylvie4 You can edit your listing under Basics to say you offer two rooms, and under Property Type you can choose Bed and Breakfast.  Unfortunately, the guest can't filter for Property Type when searching.  However, if you have ticked Breakfast in Amenities, they can filter for Breakfast (which I always do in the UK).