17 year old minor wishes to book my apartment.

Answered!
Kwok0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

17 year old minor wishes to book my apartment.

Does anyone have any information as to the legalities of hosting a minor travelling alone from abroad?  I have been contacted by a 17 year old who wishes to book accommodation in my home.  I am a parent of a 16 year old and although she has travelled abroad, it has always been with her climbing team and there has been a chaperone.  In addition, I have had to sign a form giving my consent.  So, whilst I am happy to host a minor, I am not sure whether there is need for consent by a parent etc.  Clueless on this matter, I am afraid!  Any advice would be most gratefully recieved.

Regards

Kwok 

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is on our Archive board. To learn more about the age requirements, please visit this article: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2876

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700500410619.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

48 Replies 48
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Kwok0

No can’t do it….

Airbnb TOS limits the age in 18 y/o

Knowing this will make you illegible to any compensation in case of damages or problems…

Is up to you if you take or not the reservation…

I don’t recommend and I wouldn’t..

I was a OK kid growing up and I have rented places under 18… but Airbnb didn’t existed 15 years ago and I was an exception among my group of friends…

Luis

Hello Luis, many thanks for your reply.  Good advice. Yes, you are right.  It appears that Airbnb does not allow minors under 18yrs to set up an account.  So I have declined. 

Thanks again

Kwok

I've just a 13 year old, yes 13! and his friend of the same age try and book with me saying they have had jobs, saved up their money and want to see Sydney.  I told him to get his mother or father to contact me but have not heard back.  My concern is that he will attempt to stay with another host who may well accept the booking.  How can a child that age even register!

Airbnb says that no minors (under 18) are allowed to create an account, but obviously these accounts exist. Airbnb should make changes so that no one under 18 can create an account. The age of a guest is not disclosed at any time. I question Airnbnb's account creation procedures. Someone at Airbnb needs to verify the information when an account is created. Any official ID (driver's license, passport, etc.) used must state the year of birth of the applicant and Airbnb needs to screen that and not allow kids to register. If they do allow it (and obviously they do: I just had a 16-year-old request a booking and had I not asked his age, I would have been none-the-wiser) a host has no idea that their guest is a minor, Airbnb should be 100% accountable if something goes wrong or gets messed up because the guest was a child under 18. There is an implicit understanding that we are hosting adults because of Airbnb's own rules stating "No one under 18". Man-up, Airbnb, or get your own rules in check!

Netta0
Level 1
Washington, DC

Im curious what you decided to do? I also have an 18 year old who wishes to book with her 17 year old friend. According to Air bnb (to the best of my undersranding), you cant set up an account under 18, but it says nothing about not being allowed to host under 18. That would actually seem like age discrimination to me. I'm still not sure what to...

I just had a similar request. An 18 yr old and her 17 yr old friend want to book. It doesn't appear any answers came your way. Hmmm...

Just had a HS student want to book with her 19 yr old friend and have her boyfriend over. My take is, a few days to make money is not worth a potential 

life time of headache. I wouldn't want my daughter/niece nephews doing this so a good judgement call will save you aggravation down the line. My opinion of course. My decisions have been spot on. 

Age discrimation... seriously?

Noemie4
Level 2
Jerusalem, Israel

I'm in a similar situation.

i just got a booking request from a 17yo. She told me right away that she's a minor and using her mom's account. I checked on Facebook and the picture is hers, no activity to the account and the only verified information is email and phone number...

Hey! My friend is wondering since he is 17, but at the time when he has booked the airbnb he is 18, is this fine? Or do you need to be 18 to book an airbnb?

According to Air BnB's terms and policies you must be 18 yrs old to create an account and profile. If someone is under 18 and has an account they either submitted fraudulant ID info and the like or AirBnB needs to tighten up it's verification process. I don't believe it is a hosts responsibility to ensure guests are in compliance or assume liability. They can certainly assist but AirBnB should assume all liability if they are allowing minors to create accounts. If you feel really comfortable with this minor trying to book then deny the request, hold the date open for them with the promise they create a new account and re-request to book when they turn 18. 

Dimitris22
Level 1
Attica, Greece

I have a case of a mother (legit airbnb account) who wishes to book for her son 17yr old, to visit on his own.

I already requested for a written authorisation but I am no concerned of what I read you mention on illegibility in case of damages in the property whilst a minor is staying there.

What are your thoughts?