unsure of inquiry identity - evidence that it is a previous guest that left damage

Luke70
Level 2
Mandurah, AU

unsure of inquiry identity - evidence that it is a previous guest that left damage

Here is an unusual situation I've got myself into. I need some help from somebody who may have come across the same thing.

I had a booking for a wedding over the new year period. Everything started well except after the wedding there were many people invited around who were not guests. They stayed up throughout the Night drinking and smoking. my neighbour came over to my place in the morning and complained that is sleep was affected by the guests at my property and that there were many people that weren't part of the booking. In the morning I went around to the property and spoke with the guest explaining that I had received complaints. They responded by apologising and insuring me that the following night would-be much quieter. When they left there was cigarette burns on the carpet and a couple of missing Game pieces etc. I lodged a claim for damages which was paid. I didn't receive glowing reviews as I had come over unexpected to inform the guest of the complaints. In return I left a positive review as the guests had taking responsibility for the other guests who weren't invited and the damage that was incurred.

Anyhow, this is where it gets interesting. When I accept a booking, I enter their mobile phone number into my contact list for future reference. I sometimes offer promotional stays when things are quiet and message my past clients. Let's say this persons name was Sandra.

I recently received an inquiry (from kertrina) which I responded to with a pre-approval even though they were a first time airbnb user. When they responded to the message I received a notification of the Conversation saying it's from Katrina, but my phone is saying it's from Sandra, the one that I had in my contacts list. I subsequently withdrew the preapproval as I thought that Katrina was actually Sandra. I didn't hear anything of them until today. This time I get a message inquiries from Molly, again there is no photograph or previous reviews. This time I didn't pre-approve instead sent a message in reply asking for clarification of who they were, how many people they had in mind and the more information about the dog they wanted to stay.

You would never guess what happened? I went to my contacts list again and it's my old friend Sandra. I returned a message requiring full verified identification including a clear head and shoulders photograph and that I would meet the guests at the door on arrival. A photograph of their dog is not satisfactory.

I then thought id get to the bottom of it by ringing up Sandra. I was going to ask her that I had received inquiries from two other people and that the notification was coming up as her name, maybe she could enlighten me as to how this could happen.

that number was disconnected.

What is happening? Am I just paranoid? Has anybody come across this situation before?

I'm thinking that Sandra is using new accounts to book the property as we left on less than rosie terms and perhaps has intentions of causing malicious damage or something else.

Any thoughts or experiences similar would be most appreciated.

Thanks Luke.

2 Replies 2
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Luke70 . AirBNB uses the same phone numbers for notifications over and over and over. These numbers are not actually affiliated with the guests' phone, but are simply a bank of numbers used by AirBNB.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Luke70, the notifications you receive via SMS are from an Airbnb number, not the guest's actual phone number. You have access to the guest's phone number only after the booking is confirmed. You can find their phone number in the guest details beneath the 'Message' and 'Call' buttons.