guest harassing me to change review

Charles307
Level 2
Westminster, CO

guest harassing me to change review

We had a guest check out the other day and I left him a review that I felt was fair.  I said he was nice a guy but that he had broken our policy on the use and storage of marijuana in our listing and I would therefore not recommend him to other hosts.  He has called me four times since check out.  I've only answered the phone one of these times as I saved his number after and I thought maybe he had forgotten something.  He began yelling at me to change my review because it's his right to use marijuana wherever he wants because he was in a car wreck.  I hung up on him and sent him a message via the Airbnb platform so there would be a record.  He politely replied there saying I should have spoken to him first as he was unaware of our no drugs policy.  I know that he didn’t read the house rules but they are also posted in the book we leave our guests on the same page as the wifi password so… I reported his behavior to Airbnb and they have done nothing.  I sent them a screenshot of the calls he made to me as well as the texts he sent outside of the platform asking to speak with me.  I have just decided to ignore him, but I wish Airbnb would take this more seriously.  He lives in the city we host in and has been bouncing around from listing to listing.  It just makes me nervous that he might decide to come back to my house since I’ve been ignoring his calls.   

7 Replies 7
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Questions:  Did he actually used  it in your dwelling?  Your house rules do explicitly state you object even possessing it in the premises, right? 

Just curious.

I am unsure if he actually used it in the house but the room was smokey and smelled very badly after he left.  He was smoking on the property though.  And yes our house rules state not pot period.  We have a very good reason which is rather personal to our situation which I explained to him and he thought it was stupid and blew it off.  

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Charles

Stop corresponding with this guest, period.

Ignore.

Laura1355
Level 7
Minnesota, United States

Is medical Marijuana legal in your state? That may be a factor. I believe you still can restrict guests from using it in your home but check regarding Americans with disabilities act. I agree that air bnb should be doing all the contact from this point on. 

Yes, pot is legal in Colorado, but you have the right to restrict its use in on your property if you want to.  The ADA would not cover drug use (even if it is legal in the state) because it is a federal law and pot is a schedule 1 narcotic.   

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I don't believe you can change your review even if you wanted to. Once reviews are submitted they are very difficult to have altered on either end. Only in extreme cases when specific guidelines have been ignored. Usually this involves racist or threatening remarks.

Charles307
Level 2
Westminster, CO

not sure if anyone is going to find this but here is what happened.  Sorry for the delay, I had a surgery and took a break from hosting while recovering.  Airbnb never reached out to us after they said they would and the guest also stop contacting me a week or so later.  The guest has since gotten many reviews with the same issue regarding pot use.  So to make a long story short, nothing was done and there was nothing I could do about it.