first booking, problems with guest expectations

first booking, problems with guest expectations

Hi folks,

We just joined up as hosts and have never used Air BnB for a trip, so I don't really know what to expect, but our first inquiry is from a couple with kids who want to rent our room that clearly states it is for two guests and that for various reasons (mostly pet related) we prefer adult guests.  On top of that they want a two night discount even though our first three bookings already have a 20% discount.  I don't think they will be happy no matter how I handle this, and it defeats the whole purpose of the 20% discount to try to get us started on reviews.

What would you do?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Nate50,

I'm not sure if you're aware of the differences between inquiries and requests. You may be, but just in case here's the quick version.

If it's an inquiry you get the option to pre-approve or decline the inquiry.

If it's a request to book you get the option to accept or decline the request.

In the past I've responded to such inquiries by pointing out the maximum numebr of guests that I can accommodate, mentioning that there are no other beds and highlighting the child safety amenities that I do not have e.g. no stair guards, no fireplace guards, no window guards.

If you decline and they then instant book you can send them a message pointing out that they'll get a full refund if they cancel within 48 hours of making  the reservation, provided that the checkin date is also more than 14 days away.

Even when I was just starting out I declined inquiries from prospective guests who asked for a discount. I politely indicated to them that there were other listings in the area whose price was about what they seemed to want and declined the inquiry. Stick by your prices. A two night discount request is ridiculous on its own not to mind it being on top of a 20% introductory offer. Say no.

The post below details the differences between inquiries and requests.

Difference between a Reservation “Inquiry” or “Req...

Steve.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Nate50. I totally agree with @Steve143.

If an inquiry or request, stick to your rules and requirements.

Always stay professional in your approach. This also means be friendly and fair. But you are the boss of your homestay space, so lead your future starting now......

No extra discount: sorry - but there is already a discount on the room and as Steve stated, they may prefer to look at other Airbnb’s that meet their requirements.

Your place is not suitable for this guest, as you do not have the amenities to cater for them.

- In your place descriptor, you state that the 100lb dogs are friendly to adults. 

You also say children need to be accompanied (ambiguous). Being new as a host, presumably, you are covering yourself if an adult and child are booking. (parent with child)

Wrong...

- you need to specify in your rules, not suitable for children due to the large dogs.

- or not suitable due to the property set up for adults only, with no child amenities , and the dogs get nervous around children.or something similar.

Something like:

“Our family dogs are very friendly around adults, but are nervous around children, therefore our homestay is not suitable for children or infants under two.”

Make sure ALL correspondence/ communication is through the Airbnb site. If they text you, copy the texts and send your response through Airbnb for paper trail and documentation.

Hope this helps.

🙂

Cathie

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi again @Nate50

Reading your listing I would consider tidying up your rules a bit more, and definitely remove the flexible check out time. That’s going to cause angst and heartache. You will do this as you become more familiar.

In your rules, consider who you are wanting to rent to? If wanting adults, remove all info regarding children, and add, not suitable for children. It would be awful if your dogs were teased or reacted negatively by children not under supervision.....

You currently have  no extra charges for extra people, but do not set a maximum number, by mentioning children. So a guest may feel there’s room to negotiate extra persons in the booking. Stop this idea from the beginning.... if you negotiate an extra person, then charge them for the person, or set your rat3 with 5hat in mind. Extra water usage, linen washing etc.

- Maybe here also state a maximum of two adult persons in a booking due to the homestay space setup. (Make your decision then use your own words.)

Check Out

Consider a checkout time and add it to your listing.

You can then negotiate on a guest by guest case if you want. If someone wants an extra hour then maybe okay; but if they hang around an extra half a day or an extra 12 hours, you are losing out on maybe negotiating a half or full day rate. Remember, you can’t rent to other guests or organise cleaning if you haven’t got a departure time.

Just consider the options.

🙂

Cathie

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Nate50: We do not use Instant Book for reasons and situations like this. We want to have the final say in all bookings. Don't give discounts if not needed and with you already giving a discount it would be easy to say no to them. 

I would respond with your reasoning of why it is not a good fit and when "declining" the inquiry pick "My place is not a good fit for the guests" (I believe its worded something like that). We have done this numerous times especially with guests getting in touch about coming with small children. This is all clearly stated (with our reasoning) in the description but I do not mind people asking. It doesn't hurt to ask. It also doesn't hurt to decline based on real reasons. 

Your place looks nice. More pictures of your land and the exterior would be nice just to give people more insight to the vast property. A picture of the private entrance is good to have as well. If people miss that in the description they will see it in your pictures (most people really just look at pictures and reviews). 

Good luck.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Nate50 The above posts should indicate one theme: start cautiously, keep it simple at first and tweak your listing before getting too daring with IB, discounts and such whistles & bells.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Nate50

Red flag!

Youve got a clear listing regarding your house rules and amount of guests Your accomodation hosts.

If you have rules that are very flexible then be prepared for situations like this one.

You happy with kids in your home?....then by all means accept.

If not, then decline as it IS your home after all.