early check-in charges

Jacqueline540
Level 1
Billerica, MA

early check-in charges

Hi all,

I have a guest asking to check in early. Very early. They want to check in before the check out time from the night before. While I currently do not have a reservation for the night before, that would keep me from being able to to rent the house that night. Is it unreasonable to request an additional fee for that early of a check in?

Details: 4pm self check in. 11am check out. No minimum stay. I am usually able to accommodate early check ins of 2pm. 

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jacqueline540 You should tell the guest asap that in order to ensure that they can access the room at xx hrs they need to book the night before. If all they want to do is drop off luggage and pick up a key, then we say that is absolutely fine - they can have coffee, we can help them plan for the day ( and offer them use of a bathroom if they need it). No harm in a small white lie to say ' other guests in room till 11am, - your room not ready till 2pm - but more than happy for you to come around and collect key etc... guests really appreciate this and understand if you have a (fictious) guest staying the night before

Good luck

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Weigh the options.

1. You have a standardized routine. You wake, deal with business, prep a room, have lunch, review the room, then wait for guests (and $$).

2. Some stranger asks for early check-in. This is not standard. You stress, your routine is upset. Did you remember the towels? Did you forget you had a lunch date with your friend, so you can't turn the room over? (You make the same $$)

I find administration very dear. No one can fault me for sticking to my formalized written checkin - but people can fault me for bad prep.  I allow for free early storage of luggage, but I charge for formal checkin.  NO ONE HAS EVER ACCEPTED AN EARLY CHECKIN FEE! 

Alicia427
Level 2
Irons, MI

This cracks me up. We have this issue at every location. Guests just casually announcing they will be arriving at noon and completely ignoring the check in times.   Welllll, I’d love to offer that to you but unfortunately I agree with Paul- it adds stress that is completely unnecessary and causes mixups/forgotten items. Housekeeper rushes for no reason. Too many variables. 

My response is typically uniform-  if we do not have a check out the day of arrival, I will tell them they may check in early. If I do receive a last minute reservation they will not be able to check in any earlier than 2 pm and we can let them know when the place is ready if they’d like to check in with us after 2 pm (placing responsibility on guest to contact us rather than having to remember to reach out to them). If they require an early check in they must reserve the prior day. 

I will make exceptions for guests checking in during our off season and staying longer than 3 days. They also are able to check out at their convenience during the off season. It’s not something we can always do but when I see a situation where their request isn’t going to impact me or the occupancy rate- I don’t see any reason not to be as helpful as possible. 

I dont think that guest should expect this service at no charge to them. Unfortunately, a lot of them start out acting as if it’s their right but once I explain the situation, they are happy that I’ve offered the possibility at all. 

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Jumping in on this thread a little late, but I am just having this experience now! Guest has not replied to any communications since booking April 2nd. I send confirmation messages asking to confirm arrival time so I am here to greet them, and also to advise of any dietary restrictions. Crickets...until this morning (10am) "We're on our way!" My response: That's Great! You may check-in anytime after 3pm. 

I have done the 8am check-in before, when I was new and wanted to please everyone for the almighty review. Those days are over. The check-in time is clearly noted in the listing and booking confirmation details, and I will not take responsibility for people who choose not to read. 

Jana27
Level 3
Anchorage, AK

These posts have been very helpful. I run 2-3 rooms in Anchorage, Alaska with many one night fly in and fly outs. I get tired of explaining. My check in is 3 p.m and check out is 12 noon, which is very reasonable. I will back check up to 11 a.m. next summer. I have NO unbooked days - June/July. I balance it with garage storage for luggage, (downstairs) and the upstairs is closed until check -in. I suggest a walk or bike on our lovely coastal trail just down my street. I do all my own cleaning, and it does disrupt my flow. I have thought of monetizing it to reduce my resentment and still have the option for guests, but I am not sure if I want to manage that. I also live on the site in a basement apartment, so early guests mean I miss my private, alone time in the house. I have also had the experience of rushing and then they don't show early.  I have started texting pre-booking rules with directions since many do not seem to read them. That would be a good place to have a fee listed if I go that route. It would be wonderful is I did that and everyone stopped asking!! :).