Wifi Speed Expectation

Wifi Speed Expectation

Hello Hosts,

I have 4 gals in my house now who are all trying to work from home. My internet connection is a camp-on from my next door neighbors. They have been complaining that there is either no connection or a weak connection. I installed a wireless extender, but they are still complaining.

My question is, what might be the Wifi signal strength expectation for a residential location such as my house?  I am a host for a house, not a business center.

I've offered them compensation for any costs associated if they have to tether (WiFi hot spot) their phones.

Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Susan

17 Replies 17
Corinna8
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I have the same question.  We have a condo in an older unit in a small town in Mexico.  We have people stay with us for over 3 months and have had no complaints about the wifi speed and both guests were working from the condo.  We had new guests this month and they were also working from the condo and couldn't make the powerpoint presentations work, video calls etc.  So what to do ... they left as they couldn't work and would like a refund.  They were supposed to stay for 28 days and left after 4 and only stayed at the condo 1 night.

@Susan321  Same thing happened my neighbor here in Mexico last season. Guests who had booked for a month also left after a few days because the internet wasn't good enough for them to work. She upgraded to new service which works much better than the Telcel connection she had. I'm also about to get that service.

If you don't have any other choices for more reliable internet, you just have to make it really clear in your ad that if guests are reliant on constant, high speed internet, yours isn't the place to book.

I've been closed to bookings for a year and a half because I have a home-share listing and not willing to risk Covid, but I rented successfully for over 3 years with cell-based, metered, expensive internet, because there weren't any other options. I was just really clear in my ad that I didn't have internet capabilities for those who need to work online, stream, upload large files, etc. Fine for checking your email, surfing the web, but not for someone working from home, Zoom calls, etc.

There are plenty of guests who don't want to be online during their holidays, so you just have to market towards those types. Some of my guests did work online and found it adequate for their needs, as your past guests have. And some said they were happy the internet was limited- that they spend way too much time online at home, that it's really addictive, and they enjoyed being forced to do other things- if they were going to sit in front of a screen, they might as well have stayed home.

Another thing that travelers have to realize is that you can't have it all- you can't have a rental in a quaint little town in Mexico and expect the same 1st world infrastructure you had in Vancouver or S.F. It doesn't matter how good the internet is, if the electricity goes out in a rainstorm, which it does a lot, nothing is going to work.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Susan321  I think most guests expect hosts to have WiFi of their own with decent speed. At least mine do. Having said that I have had guests ask me ahead of time what my speed is if they are planning to work from my space. And really it is incumbent upon a guest to make sure they understand the limitations of any amenities before booking.