What insurance I need to buy if I would like to provide free kayaks in my listing?

What insurance I need to buy if I would like to provide free kayaks in my listing?

Hi,

I have a lake front house and I would like to provide free use of my kayaks. I saw there were a few discussions about risk of doing that. I asked a couple of short term renting policies, they seem not to cover that. I'm not sure where I can buy an insurance to cover WHATEVER happened when guests are using it?

thanks,

William

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why don't you ask a local insurance broker @William1872 

How stupid I was. I have asked a couple of insurance companies and got some negative answers. Obviously I should have asked someone who has a bigger picture.

Thanks

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Good luck. 

Kristina46
Level 10
Hawaii, United States

Call me a wet blanket but I would not offer kayaks to guests. Huge liability. And this is why insurance companies are turning you down. If you really want to, maybe see a lawyer and have them draft up a waiver. But you might still be liable. All it would take is one flip (we call it huli in Hawaii), or one person getting lost or whatever... and bang, you receive a summons and complaint and you aren't covered. 

Just not worth it. Have the guests rent from a professional place or bring their own boats. They have inflatables now.

Same with any water toys really. Paddleboards, boogie boards, even snorkel gear. I am a beach destination in Hawaii. I used to offer good-quality snorkel gear to guests, made them sign a liability waiver. Had to make sure they stayed in good condition, and half the time guests would lose them without telling me. They'd get beat up too. But during the pandemic, I had no good way to sanitize them, and took them out of service. I still got great reviews and happy guests. It made no difference. I realized I was putting a lot of time and effort into something that made no difference!  Then took away every beach toy such as boogie boards. I don't need the liability. They can buy their own!