Uncomfortable with confirming

Suzy2
Level 2
Louisville, KY

Uncomfortable with confirming

Will it hurt my listing if I decline an older man's request to book? I'm a 29 y/o female that lives in the house and I just have the gut feeling that it's not a good idea to accept his request to book. Thoughts?

7 Replies 7
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Suzy2,

I would decline and choose the option that you do not feel comfortable.  I believe it only hurts if you decline too often.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

When declining from the app on my phone, it doesn't give me options to select why. Any idea?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Suzy2 Possibly the apps on your phone are a 'cut down' Android version of what is on your computer. If you can Suzy, access your page on your computer and I am sure you will be able to state why you are declining this booking.....good luck...cheers....Rob

I felt uncomfortable with my very first request from a man named "Charlie". I know, what a lightweight huh? I did some investigating and talked to other people hosts he has stayed with and found he WAS a creep who brought prostitutes to the residents and was up all night possibly doing drugs. One host said she talked to the girl when he was gone and she said he was abusive. So, my question is...I want to decline and say I am uncomfortable with this quest, but I'm afraid he'll see it. The other host if fearful because she said he already knows where she lives. What should I do?

Hi Brian,

How creepy! When you decline him because you feel uncomfortable, it is private and says it will not be shared with the guest. There will also be a box afterward giving you a chance to write a message but you do not have to. Also, when you decline them because you feel uncomfortable, they will not be able to find your listing again in the search.

Good luck.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Suzy2....Hi Suzy, 99% of the people you host will turn out to be lovely people who will bring so much joy to your life but.....if there is someone that you feel uncomfortable about, decline in an instant! It is your home, your sanctuary and a bad guest will destroy that comfortableness you feel in your home forever more. To hell with the consequences, if it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

And you will find, Airbnb are very reasonable and will not penalise you if you feel there is a genuine problem with a booking.

God almighty....by association at times I am almost ashamed to be a male!!! cheers.....Rob

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Decline any request where you feel uncomfortable from an older man to a younger woman - if it doesn;t feel right during your discussion then you won't feel comfortable with that person in your home.

If you generally do not want older men  staying then why not say so......or is it just this particular person?