Tips for a new host

Ocki6
Level 2
Nixa, MO

Tips for a new host

Hello all you experienced hosts out there! I am a brand new host starting out next month (one guest have booked for 30 days). I'm cautiously excited!

What would be one tip or advice you wish you were given when you were in my place? I already have learned a lesson on pricing as a newbie that I wish I understood better when I was setting it up. I followed the Airbnb's suggestion by offering a new listing discount. Price setting also asked about weekly and monthly discounts so I set it up following the recommendation. Now, I would be lucky if I break even for my monthly expenses as the heating cost will go up with cold temperatures! I know Airbnb wants you to lower the price to attract the viewers, but no one gets into hosting to lose money. 😕

Thanks in advance for your response!

3 Replies 3
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Welcome @Ocki6 

What a darling place you have. I want to move right on in.

Hosting is a lot of fun. 

Make sure you protect yourself so that it is fun.

1. As you are new hosts, don't accept 5 day or longer stays.  A month long stinker will turn you off.

2. Price in the mid-range of your competitors. As is, your house seems too cheap....

Too cheap is fine for short stays when you're starting, but not for long stays.

3. If the guest is making too many demands, don't be afraid to say no. There are many good guests out there.

Good luck.

Thank you, Paul. Those are all very good tips!  I appreciate you taking the time to share them.

Ocki

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Ocki6 

I was just talking to friends that we'd never been to Branson...I'll have to keep you in mind!

1. Set clear rules and stick to your guns. One exception will lead to ten. 

2. You live 45 minutes away. Consider installing an exterior camera even if it's a Ring doorbell. At my house, I use a Blink camera from Amaz-n and purchased a mount for it. They run on lithium batteries. They aren't the greatest but you will get movement notifications and you will be able to check on the number of cars in the driveway when you want. They require wi-fi in the house and there is a module you plug in. Just be sure to disclose this in the listing.

3. Take photos/video of the place before each guest. I take a video and state the date and the upcoming guest's name after I finish cleaning. This will give you a smidge of backup in case there are damages. 

4. You way want to consider meeting long term guests in person upon check in just so you can get a sense of them in person and so they feel a sense of connection to you...it can help them feel more comfortable contacting you if they have questions or concerns. 

5. Consider having someone come clean half way through the long term guest's stay. It can be just a kitchen and bathroom cleaning that takes an hour. It would give you an extra set of eyes inside in case this are going sideways...