Safety/scammers, extra person charge, kitchen issue

Sharon151
Level 2
Mahwah, NJ

Safety/scammers, extra person charge, kitchen issue

Hello! I've been a host since December 2016. So far, most guests have been great! This post is partially for recommendations and maybe some is venting. Here it goes..

I have encountered some guests that were using drugs. Not in front of me, but when cleaning up, I will see evidence of it. I'm just hoping that one day it won't become a problem. Any suggestions of how to avoid this (without getting a drug sniffing dog).

Next issue: I do not list a kitchen in the amenties and twice in the listing desciption it says "no kitchen". But yet I have people writing a review about a lack of kitchen?? I had an issue with a potential guest (had made a reservation last minute then cancelled). He made up a story and I just asked what did he mean by what he was messaging. Soon he got "nasty" and threatened me (he didn't say he was coming to assault me- no need to call the police). I flagged the messages, nothing from AirBnB. I sent emails, nothing was done about this individual, his account is still active. I am able to handle myself but worry for another female host.

I've gotten messages for preapprovals- strange, far fetched stories. I have automatic booking, so does this mean that when I receive this that the person does not have all my requirements, and by accepting, I'm overriding them?

I stopped allowing guests long term. I had a real wacko (not sure if he was unstable or on something, or off of something). I don't want to be put in the situation where I have to deal with it for a month or so.

In the past month, I added an "extra person charge" (over 2 ppl). I added an additional full bed in a bedroom that has a single. Most of my guests are singles or couples and used only the one bedroom. I decided that if I there's more people, they get to use the other bedroom and they should pay for it. I indicated that the rate is for 2 guests, occupying one bedroom (one with full bed). If by chance a reservation requires separate bedroom, the reservation needs to be for 3 guests in order to open up second bedroom. I just got a booking yesterday and guy said (among other things) that it's him and a work buddy and they definitely need separate bedrooms. He only reserved for 2 people. I messaged back saying if he needs more than one bedroom, he should of made it for 3 people. I said I can make an exception (just one night), additionally I asked if he had dates correct based upon his message. I have not heard from him , he arrives tomorrow. I'm thinking he knew exactly what he was doing being that he indicated he needs two bedrooms and he hasn't messaged me back. If anyone could give advice how I can be any more clearer with the additional person charge and sleeping arrangements and "no kitchen" (I can only type so much in the limited booking instuctions slot). Apparently even though I typed out "read entire description", no one reads it.

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sharon151

I don't think hosts can prevent drugs , especially if they rent the entire unit. If your guests are not heavy users then it is not easy to recognize them, especially not through messages.

As you rent the entrire apartment I would expect a kitchen. Maybe you could set up at least small kitchenette? Microwave ?

When instant booking is on guests are still able to send you inquiry and ask few questions before booking. But if you receive booking request it means they didn't meet your requirements (for example they travel with a pet or a child and your house rules says no) If you decline their inquiry they will still be able to book, but if you decline their request then they will not be able.

(At least I think so.. correct me if I am wrong)

Regarding your 1 or 2 rooms offer... I would make two listings. One for one bedroom apartment and another for two bedrooms apartment. Then you can set different prices for every combination where 1 bdr listing will cost less for 2 people then 2 bdr apartment.

But.. when someone books one listing you will have to block those days on another listing manually. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sharon151

I think it is kind of misleading to list your space as entire home/apartment.  

The good thing is that with the new cancellation policies the guests can cancel penalty free, so I suggest you communicate to your guests directly after booking to make entirely sure they understand what they are getting, or rather, not getting.  

Add the no kitchen/rural aspect issue to your pre-booking message also.