Remove expiry date on Superhost coupons!

Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

Remove expiry date on Superhost coupons!

I have never used the super host coupon. They have all been wasted. I would rather have a gift card that I can use anyway I please. Times are tough... I have stopped supplying bottled water, and leaving a little welcome tray for guests because I can't afford it. These gifts benefit only Airbnb. If they are used, they benefit, and if they are not used they benefit even more. I could the $100. for a nice dinner and have some leftover to provide guests with a treat s well.

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marisa182  While I have never had an opportunity to use mine, either, it isn't true that they only benefit Airbnb. Plenty of hosts use those vouchers.

And many companies give out vouchers and credits to users. It's a pretty normal thing. It costs them nothing if they aren't used- giving out cash is something completely different and I have never heard of any company offering a cash option. 

And as far as a gift card, how would they know if I would use that, either? A gift card for somewhere I would never go, or a service I would never use, isn't useful.

Hi Sarah,

Don't you think that when a host uses the superhost bonus to stay at another Airbnb that Airbnb.com also benefits? If it is only the $100.00, the traveling superhost might book a longer stay.. that's good for Airbnb. I just became a superhost again today, and I'm thinking of writing a note to Brian, since I can't find an email address for him, and I want to tell him to skip the whole superhost business for me. I'm not interested. I will continue to keep up my place and be the best host I can be. And if they want to reward me for it, let me choose what best works for me. A hundred dollars on a gift card that I can use in any store would be lovely. As I said, I used to provide a welcome basket, but it got too expensive.

Nice chatting with you. I love your place in Mexico

@Marisa182  Thanks- come visit sometime :-). Will open back up in late fall once I'm fully vaccinated.

Sure, Airbnb would benefit if a host made a booking that cost more than the $100 voucher. 

What's your reason for your note to Brian? Chances are great he'll never read it. And he's not going to "forget Superhost" for you specifically.

It's all run by algorithms. 

Instead, hosts should just forget stressing about getting Superhost status, or losing it. It isn't a reward for being a great host, as evidenced by them allowing a 1* revenge review from a disgruntled guest to stand and tank a host's ratings. It's just a manipulation tactic to keep hosts stressed out. 

But hosts can choose to ignore it all.

Hi Sarah, maybe I will come and visit you in Mexico someday! Well, I was really hot under the collar the other day when the happy little message about my continued super host status showed, and I thought... there goes another $100 dollar voucher that I won't use. Of course I only had the urge to write to Brian, but never for a second thought that even if I did, that he would ever see it, nor did I think that he would cater to my request to be excluded from the whole super host thing.

I have never stressed or made any special effort for super host status, but if a reward is offered, then please let it be more than just one thing. I'm pretty sure that they could just as easily offer a credit card gift card. The International  company I worked for did it, along with yearly bonuses. At least one other option for hosts who do not wish to travel...or, let me gift the voucher to another host or friend.

I am old enough to understand manipulation tactics, They don't work for me. We, hosts from around the globe, make Airbnb possible, and I am happy and grateful for the Airbnb platform. If they want to reward me, send me a check. That is simple enough! Sarah, I invite you to visit me in the beautiful Washington DC area. Best, M

@Marisa182  One thing you can do with a voucher you aren't going to be able to use is to team up with another host in the same situation, and book each others' places,  even though you aren't going to actually show up and  stay. 

@Sarah977 Great Idea! Thank you so much!