Receiving inquiries from guests who do not meet my requirements....

John2273
Level 3
Fayetteville, NC

Receiving inquiries from guests who do not meet my requirements....

I'm very frustrated with the Airbnb hosting platform.  I have instant booking in place with a requirement for a verified government ID.  I don't understand how someone can send an "inquiry" that I am forced to respond to if they don't have an ID verified.  The inquiry gives me 3 choices... pre-approve, decline, or send a special offer.  If I pre-approve, I'm allowing someone who doesn't meet my guest requirements to book with me.  If I decline, it is held against my acceptance rate.  Soooooo.... my only choice is special offer.  I more than doubled the rate for the night and sent them that as a special offer.  I also sent a message encouraging them to become ID verified and explaining the reason for the special offer.  I personally wouldn't be surprised if they became angry or frustrated, but apparently that isn't a problem for Airbnb.  If safety and security is important, then the booking system should reinforce this.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

16 Replies 16
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John2273 You don't have to Pre-approve or Decline an Inquiry (you do have to Accept or Decline a Booking Request). If you just message the guest back within the 24 hour window, without clicking on anything, nor sending a special offer, that won't affect your response rate or your acceptance rate.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@John, As Sarah said: don't do anything with an inquiry other than respond as quickly as you can to increase/maintain your response rate. Your acceptance rate is only affected with a Booking Request.

John2273
Level 3
Fayetteville, NC

Thank you both very much. I hope you are correct.  However, if what you say is true, that is not very clear to me when I open the inquiry.  It looks very much like a reservation request with 3 options -- pre-approve, decline, or send a special offer.  I did see where I could send a message, but that was down below and did not appear to meet the requirement to respond within 24 hours. 

I'll take a chance and try just messaging back the next time it comes up, but I have to say, I am disappointed in the "acceptance rate" aspect of Airbnb.  Despite achieving over fifteen 5-star reviews and becoming a super-host in less than 3 months, I have an acceptance rate of only 77% which is below the Airbnb goal.  This  resulted from me declining some early reservation requests by guests who did not meet Airbnb criteria... no ID, no reviews, no other verifications.  Additionally, I had guests openly request to break Airbnb rules (such as making requests to book a third party who is not an Airbnb member).  I reported these to Airbnb but they still counted against my acceptance rate.  If Airbnb reads my reviews, I think they would find that I am the type of host they are looking for -- warm, welcoming, and willing to accept any member of the community that meets the basic requirements.  My guest house is sparkling -- I sanitize after every guest, provide clean linens (to include washing the comforter each time), and even purchased the little "sanitized for your protection" ribbons for the toilet!  Even though I don't think guests can see my acceptance rate, it is very frustrating to think that anyone, even Airbnb representatives, would think that I am randomly turning down guests.

Thank you Sarah and Emilia for your feedback and for reading this far! LOL  I hope if either of you want to come to sunny North Carolina, you will consider staying with us.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@John2273

Click the link for confimation that you only need to message the guest for booking enquiries, If the clock is still counting down, refresh the page and it will disappear.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2410/what-can-i-do-when-i-get-a-booking-inquiry

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

HI @John2273 

Just to say I have been messaging guests back who enquire over the last four years and have never had an issue doing so. I don't ever pre-approve, decline or send a special offer. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @John2273. Anyone looking at your listing who wants to book it on instant book, can’t... if they do not meet your requirements. However, that doesn’t restrict them from making contact to ask for themselves. From my understanding, that sounds like what has happened.

Respond quickly, but unless you have great communication happening, I would RESIST hitting the decline or pre-approval button. In such instances I’ve been friendly but stated the reason they couldn’t instant book were either 1, not govt  ID verified, or currently have no reviews or no positive published reviews from hosts. That it’s like a reference.... I communicate, that for me to consider their enquiry, they would need to agree to my house rules in full, no exceptions. They would require a govt. ID verification added to their profile, as well  as a full facial profile image. If they are unsure I ask them to please read my compliance requirements for guests, in my house rules.  This seems to deter time wasters.

If they do not show good communication or any willingness to comply, I also state I will require copies/ photos IDs of all non-children in the booking, on arrival. That definitely weeds out negatively intentioned guests.

We do what we can, to protect our property, self and families. The average guest is more then willing to meet your needs if they really wish to stay. They usually are wonderful guests, just maybe newbies starting out!

i've instituted many of the same measures...even taking it a step further to require all travel companions to create verified profiles.  unfortunately that also deters some probably good family no kids type requests, which i understand, but after a third party rez and bozo the clown car endless bodies into my house at dark (i'm right downstairs...dummies, i tightened up shop.

my listing is now so stringent that only seasoned super presence airbnb travelers can book with me...luckily this is not my business or primarcy or even secondary income...just play money when its a mutual match

i get tons of overflow (city full capacity) requests, i send a rubber stamp cut and paste didn't read didn't satisfy the booking reqs with a few help links and the airbnb support contact # and page link...i never hear from them again.  if i do i reroute them back to support.  i had a few people go off, for me instituting boundaries (i'm not customer service i don't want people like you in my home) so i just blocked them

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it

I like your style Sammy!!!  I'm just starting up for the season (we don't do AirBnB during the summer months) and I just had an opportunity to read your post.  I am in a similar situation...I can afford to be more stringent to prevent problems.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@John2273 In case you haven't already, make sure this box is clicked in the hosting requirements by clicking the link below.

Ever since I checked this box I have not received a request from someone wanting to book who did not meet my government ID requirement. 

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/requirements

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 8.25.20 AM.png

Thank you Emilia!  I clicked your link, clicked the box, and saved.  I don't recall seeing that option when I set-up my account in the past, so it is possible I missed it or it is new.  Either way, thank you so much!

@John2273, it is so hidden! I can't even find it in my settings - I have to recover it from a help article link. I stumbled across it one day but I am so glad I did.

@Emilia42  Yes! Why is this hidden?! I had to do the same thing when I was telling someone else about the setting. I have no clue how to get to it from my dashboard and have to do a search through help each time I want to find it.

@John2273  Checking this setting will save you a lot of headaches! But just FYI because this confused me the first time, this is what happens if a non-verified guest wants to request to book:

-The guest will send a request, but you will NOT get a notification like you would with other Requests/Inquiries/Instant Bookings.

-The dates requested will be grey on your calendar and held for 24 hours, or until the guest uploads his/her ID (you will be able to see this if you look at your calendar, and the reservation will say "Awaiting Verification" or something similar)

-Only after the guest uploads the ID will you get a notification! Until then, you do not have to do anything.

-If the guest does not upload the ID within 24 hours, the dates are released again.

@John2273 @Emilia42 @Suzanne302 when i click on the link it doesnt allow me to check on that box.. did any of you have that issue?  i refreshed the page and still doesnt.... was this check box disabled?