Problem people

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Problem people

I just logged on and looking down the first page..... most of the topics are people issues.

I would like to tell you a story of poetic justice that came to me in my working life!

In my working life I was a mechanical services contractor….I owned and ran an Air conditioning company.

No ethnic origin mentioned here, but, we did find customers from a particular race difficult to get on with and please!

We had a ‘client’ come in one day and ask one of my sales guys to design an air-conditioning system for his house. Our salesman, Garry did, and had the recommendations and quote delivered to the client. We didn’t hear back from the client’ and presumed that the business ended up somewhere else.

About 9 months later a very irate ‘Person’ entered the building wanting to talk to the manager……me! He fumed his way into my office and proceeded to tell me his air conditioning didn’t work and he required compensation!

I calmly said to him….”Are you a customer of ours”?

He said…”Yes I came here 9 months ago and you designed an air-conditioning system for me

I said, “sorry I can’t place you, what is your name and I will get the file out, tell me when did we install this system for you”?

He said….”No you didn’t install it, my family members are all competent tradespeople, they did the job but, you designed it, and it doesn’t work”!

I said to him….”are you seriously expecting me to take responsibility for something I did not have any part in supplying and installing….if you are, you are seriously mistaken”?

He got up and said ever so aggressively “See you in court”!

I said to him….”Now hang on, this is not an admission of any liability but would you like one of our guys to have a look at the unit and see if we can find an issue for you!”

When you run a business you must be diplomatic and a conciliator!

He agreed….and there set in chain the most amazing sequence of events!

About 5 months before, our unit lock-up had been broken into! The bastards had one of those roaming scanners that searches frequencies until it gets a match and as soon as it does…..bingo, the electric roller door opens. They cleaned us out….took 8 brand new units, copper piping and electrical gear!

Back to present, I organised for one of our service guys to go and have a look at this unit. He did and reported that the installation was fine but the unit did have a faulty ‘reversing valve’ and refrigerant was bypassing, compromising the performance of the machine. I got the fridgey to get the details off the machine and I would try to get some help for this ‘customer’!

When our guys brought back the information this non performing unit which was going to end us up in court was in fact one of the units that had been stolen from our lockup 5 months before!!!!

I rang the ‘customer and said to him……”The unit does indeed have a problem and I would like to get the manufacturer to accept responsibility could you please give me the purchase details for this unit”!

He said….”My cousin bought the unit from xxxxxxxxxx and sold it to me as part of a family deal!”

I said to him…..”Well mate, you have shafted me twice”.

1/….You came in here after free advice which you then wanted to use against me for your advantage!

2/…. The serial numbers of your unit matches one that was stolen from my premises 5 months ago…..At this point it becomes a police matter, goodbye!

I hung up the phone and I thought ‘sucking in you *bleep*’ I gave all the serial numbers to the police and they managed to track down all but two of the stolen units.

It was three months later when I next saw he and his cousin in the dock, and the judge asked me if I could identify anyone in this courtroom, and I said to the Judge……

“Yes your honour, that person over there said he would see me in court!”

Cheers……Rob

20 Replies 20
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Robin4  It is like a drama when I read it. It could be a good movie story! Highly recommended!

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Robin4   That's QUITE the story Robin!   You could name it, "It's called Karma and it's pronounced, Ha-Ha-Ha."   😉

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Robin4 hahahahaha! Justice can be so sweet! And you forgot number 3 - on top of all that, he wanted you to compensate him for the 'faulty' unit! 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

😄 LOOL

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann489 @Alice595  @Kath9  @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Yeah Karma happens just enough to make you realise, never do the wrong thing to anyone!

What appalled me about the whole thing, after the initial break-in and theft, a report was made to the police and they were given the serial numbers and invoices for all the equipment that was stolen. They never managed to make any progress in tracking down our loss or the culprits! So much for police effort. Insurance was considerably more effective than Airbnb's cover and we were compensated for our loss and, that would have been the end of the matter.

It was just sheer luck that this turkey came back in to lodge a complaint, obviously uninformed by his cousin of the history of his unit.

And one of the reasons I lean heavily here towards being a conciliatory host is the lesson I learned from that experience! I could have told this character to get lost and stop wasting my time but, in the back of my mind was the desire to know what actually had gone wrong here. Even though he had clearly taken advantage of me, I still had a desire to see things right.

Once we actually sighted the unit, well.....the rest was history.

Chance in a million but, I took great delight in granting that thief and scammer his wish......

To see me in court!

Cheers.....Rob 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Robin4 

My new motto, Rob - in the words of the renowned and rather delicious British philosopher, Tom Hardy... 😉

Screenshot_20190725-113226.png

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan17 

Susan, forgiving or not....every dog has his/her day!

When I answered the judge's question a bit of a chuckle went through the court.

You have to understand Susan, this is not Grand Jury stuff and this theft case was one of twenty listed to be heard in this courtroom on that particular morning. There were twenty + defendants to various cases plus their supporters or detractors plus all their legal representation. The courtroom was filled with perhaps 230 people or more waiting for their case to be brought on! That statement of mine…..”Yes your honour, that person over there, the one on the right said he would see me in court” was like a thunderbolt, everyone saw the import of it and it took 30 seconds or more for the murmur to die down and proceedings to continue! It was a case of…….case over in less than 20 words!

We all have our moment in the sun, don’t we Susan!

Cheers…..Rob

@Robin4 

Always a deep satisfaction is seeing liars, cheats, thieves and con artists get their comeuppance! 

And yes, they do say that we all get our moment in the sun, Rob. Very much looking forward to mine :))

*removed per OP request*

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Davide330 

Sorry Davide, I did not phrase that well. What I meant to say was.....

"No ethnic origin mentioned here, but we did find customers from one particular European country difficult to get along with and please! They always wanted something for nothing! "

I would venture to say every small business owner around the world would know exactly what I meant by that comment!

I worked very hard to make a success of my business, and in less than 15 years I took that business from 3 employees to 27! And there was no 'fairy tale' ending to the saga from your point of view.....a common thief and his accomplice got exactly what they deserved, nothing more, nothing less......and I can assure you Davide, I do not hold parties for common thieves!

Cheers.....Rob

i still remember being called a wop in Au... surely you wouldn't use that term here, where they grill you ? do you accept italians in your accommodation? or they might steal your ac?

@Robin4 

I think I said this before...... but you have the FUNNIEST STORIES EVER!!!!!!

OMG~ I'm laughing so hard~ 

Lakhvinder0
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

What a story! 

But I am glad you eventually saw them in court!

Jeremy100
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Classic Robin love it.