Possible to filter for nonsmoking guests only (not just no smoking on the premises)?

Caroline51
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Possible to filter for nonsmoking guests only (not just no smoking on the premises)?

I have one of the rooms in my house listed on Aibnb, and I've selected 'no-smoking' in the listing profile.  To date I've never had a guest who smoked in the house.  But I recently had a guest who was a heavy smoker, and while he respected the rules and didn't smoke inside the house, the smell of smoke permeated my pillows and goose down comforter.  I use pillow protector covers, but I had to throw them away because they reeked of smoke.  And I had to hang my pillows and my duvet outside for 2 days to get the smell out of them.  I didn't have back-to-back guests so I didn't need the comforter right away -- but I often do have concurrent bookings, in which case I'd have to buy a second comforter if I needed to air the duvet out again to get rid of the cigarette smell.  

I say in House Rules that I don't want smokers, even people who smoke outside the house.  But last night two guests arrived from Spain, and they're both heavy smokers.  Is there any way to prevent smokers from booking in the first place?  I have instant book enabled and I've screened for guests who have verified ID and have at least one Airbnb host recommendation.  But those seem to be the only two filters available with instant book.  I could disable instant book and communicate with guests in advance to make sure they know I don't accept smokers.  But I found that I get more bookings with Instant Book, so I'd like to keep it turned on.   Any ideas?

It would be great if Airbnb offered hosts the option to select both 'non-smoking' for the premises and 'non smokers only'

for the guests.  

1 Reply 1
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Caroline51 I'm sure many hosts would like to have a filter for guests who smoke.  I have a similar problems with chidren and pets so what I do is require guests to read and accept my house rules before I will confirm a reservation.  Obviously I don't use Instant Book as you really can't screen guests this way.  

You can follow a similar procedure, asking guests to confirm that they are non-smokers before accepting their reservations, but it wouldn't work with Instant Book.  Your decision.  🙂