No picture of guest face

Dave188
Level 1
Oakland, CA

No picture of guest face

Does AirBnB allow guest to have profiles without a proper picture of their face? In the past 2 weeks I have had a instant booking and a request where both people have non identifying pictures.  One was a flag and the other a picture of a heart with flowers I can't tell exactly what it is.   Is this a common issue in the community and are you reporting it? 

15 Replies 15
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

I've been a host for nearly 3 years and I still don't have a picture of myself on my profile. I do not subscribe to social media generally and prefer not to have my face slathered on the net. If as a host you wish to see a photo of someone before they book then you would have to remove instant booking and make it a condition of you accepting the request. I have hosted numerous guests who have a variety of pictures, as well as those with photo's like their passport. Neither have been better or worse guests than the other. To be honest, I probably wouldn't recognise most people from a tiny profile picture anyway so it doesn't really matter to me!! You certainly can't report someone for it.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You do know that as host you are meant to have a clear photo of yourself.

not "meant", "REQUIRED".  Hosts are REQUIRED to have clear face pictures.  Guests are "EXPECTED" to have clear face pictures.  That said, there's a new feature that allows you to report face pictures of garden frog statues and the like.

Well I had my neighboors complaining of hosting "punks." The guests were good. I had no complain about it; the condo was left clean. But their physical appearnce with leather jackets, piercing, and their motorcycle bloking the condo's entrance, and the music loud played from the moto has created some friction. So, the picture would be a good help. 

Yes definitely allowed.  But I won't rent without a photo -- especially a new account.  Need a story and credibility, otherwise just another Airbnb pro guest who knows the game coming to your home.

My last 3 bookings their guest picture did not show up until i accepted the request. Very awkward for me to ask them for a picture. I believe it is a new rule and I dont like it.

Therese78
Level 2
Daventry, United Kingdom

Hi Linni - agree with your comments - awkward and I don’t like it. I live in my own and have a room listing so it’s important to me to see the person first, providing he’s not parading asca flower pot!

I took a risk this evening on a last minute single male booking; had I seen his picture first my intuition would have said not to accept the booking. He’s an absolute first class arse of a guest to say the least and it’s all very uncomfortable!! It’s just another Airbnb ploy to boost bookings and receive more commission for them. No thought about safety for their hosts at all. Therese

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Dave188 Airbnb only requires you upload a photo - not that the photo needs to be of yourself/face

Apparently it is not a requirement to upload a phot at all.  I received this request with no photo or profile info available.  The guest ceated their account this year.  No reviews.  Nothing but a name.

"Hey I'm from Dominican republic, now im on vacations and i would like to go and stay there for 3 days!!! �"

The first day is Thanksgiving day.  They say they will arrive around 9pm-10pm.

This request makes me wonder. . . . 

Thoghts?

Yes, true, where "you" means the GUEST.  As a host, you are REQUIRED to have a clear face picture.  You risk being de-listed or your reservations canceled if not.  It's a ToS requirement

I just got a request from a prospective Guest today that included a photo of the back half of him from about 15 feet away. He's obviously been asked on platform to provide a photo, but for reasons of his own, he declined. He is from another country, has no history on Airbnb, no itinerary, and he asked me to phone him... getting nervous here. I asked him to check my rules, terms and description, but he still wouldn't update. I respectfully declined due to lack of comfort with the booking.

Each Host is the gatekeeper of their home. They must decide their comfort level. In my case, I list rooms in my own home, and am a single female. And yes, things have gone wrong. Very wrong. I am here to protect not only myself and my property, but my other Guests as well. I also have self check in, and I need to know for my own sake and for them what they look like, etc. It's simple and straightforward, so what's the problem? It states right on my profile that I set a high standard in terms of screening new Guests. If they can't provide an accurate head shot photo on request, I'm nervous and therefore not comfortable. Besides, there's plenty of other Hosts in my area who list for less and aren't nearly as fussy.

The one exception I made was with an exceptionally long booking (+4 months). This Guest had a lot at stake in terms of up front investment, and my location was perfect for his work. He had well researched my location, terms, rules, and description. He also checked out flawlessly when I referenced him, and provided me with government photo ID prior to checking in in addition to being verified. He's still with me 5 months later. 

Deborah30
Level 2
Woodbury, NJ

Airbnb needs to make a clear headshot a REQUIREMENT before guests can book.    How does Airbnb verify identity without a photo ID?     

I have a family And I’m really upset with the low standards that guests have. Why don’t they have a current pic? Lately there ia no pic and I will not host without guests being verified and with a pic. Is anyone else upset about this? I’ve also been a guest and it seems it’s heavier responsibilities on the host end and this seems absolutely unfair. I have written Airbnb and I think we all should demand that as hosts we are given the same respect and high standard from guests. I already had a few unsavory people here and I didn’t feel

safe. 

I just had a guest named Patricia make a reservation & sent a picture of a male. After haggling with Airbnb super host support they finally agreed that they would call the reservation with "no penalties" for me & I was stuck with no support on finding someone to fill my vacancy, but they were going to contact Patricia right away and find her/him

another place to stay. So much for baking hist! Terrible one-sided support from Airbnb