My cat decides to bring my guests... gifts.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

My cat decides to bring my guests... gifts.

Allow me to tell you a story...

Firstly, the thing to understand about Bundle (the cat) is that he is an active rodent hunter.  He is doing his part to save and protect the local New Zealand ecosystem by knocking off rats and mice on a grand scale.

Rats and mice are not native to the country and were introduced accidentally by early settlers in the late 1800's, so the eco system is not designed to cope with them.  These little pests are one of the primary reasons that several species of bird, only found in New Zealand, are close to extinction (some are already extinct).  So we all get behind pest control in a big way, with traps... bait... the works.  It's part of the job of being an environmentally responsible resident. 

It was in the news last year (and I'm quoting the headline) that the rats and mice of New Zealand had a better than normal season in the bedroom.  Since then, we've noticed our Bundle bagging himself quite a number of pests, sometimes up to 15 per month.  Our house backs on to about 10 acres of forest, so it's not unusual.  I'd say the mix is mostly mice.

Now, Bundle is a good clean boy, so he likes to wash them in water first (places a dead one in a water bowl, bats them with his paw, then sniffs to decide if clean enough to present to his people).  Then he, much to our delight and pleasure, places them on our outside doormat as a neatly washed little wet parcel of ratty (or mousey) goodness.  Sometimes we get a "meow" to let us know it's there, and he expects a knob of butter or some fish as a reward.

Of course we thank him for these little treats, as he's doing a good job.  Plus, apparently it's psychologically damaging for a cat to be told off after working to feed his family (our vet says it's one of the reasons cats run away).

I'm sure you've worked out where this is going.... 

Yes.  Bundle has decided that guests are also part of the family and they need parcels of ratty goodness too!  Whilst I'm sure he's now working twice as hard to feed both us and the guest cottage, I'm fairly sure (if discovered... hasn't been yet) that guests will take a pretty dim view of Bundle's idea of a dietary supplement.... any day now we're going to have to explain this... to someone. And it's going to be awkward.

~ Ben

67 Replies 67
Margy6
Level 4
Clunes, Australia

@Ben0 - love it. You're offering accommodation and entertainment 🙂

Is there an extra charge for that lol...?

Mel101
Level 10
Amsterdam, NL

I think this is a great story to tell your guests. You could play up the fact that he takes a shine to some people, and wants to show his appreciation, and that gift giving is his love langue. Perhaps ending with "We try to keep a close eye out for gifts and clean them up before you will ever realise that Bundle has adopted you.  We ask for your understanding if you should ever receive one of his gifts before we have found them for you"

This kind of approach could be taken pre-emptively or retrospectively.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Oh I really love that @Mel101 what a nice way to put it.

I'd definitely mention that he's doing his bit for conservation, exactly as you have above. It is both eloquent and appealing.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ben551

yes, it could be shocking for people who don't understand cats and the mice problem in New Zealand so why wouldn't you print this story on a paper and place it somewhere in your Airbnb unit? Or you think it is better if your guests don't know about the mice problem at all? Hm.... it is hard to tell ...

I had a cat and I know how smart they are... maybe you could teach your cat not to leave "presents" on your guests doorstep? I would try.

Hey that’s actually a great idea @Branka-and-Silvia0 - I could print a nice story, even put a picture of our Bundle on it. This has being going on for his entire life, so there’s no chance of stopping him delivering gifts now. In fact the vet says all his hunting and diet supplementing is keeping him very healthy (and she says it’s cleaning his teeth superbly).

The ideas of how to smooth the news to guest are excellent!

yes, of course, Bundle's portrait is a must 🙂

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Ben551

Bundle is a great cat and and adds entertainment and wildlife experience to Your guests stay. What more can they ask for, and it is all free of charge.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Most important: Ask that guests don't feed her. She will consider them all to be one and the same person, an endless string of feeders and she will reciprocate. I have had this issue myself.

Mine brought us baby rabbits, snakes, rodents galore, and the odd bird too. Mostly rodents.

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

Haha.... I Love this story!! I think @Mel101 suggestion about 'taking a shine to some people' is a great idea! If I were your guest, I would feel very privileged if I found a 'gift' waiting for me. 

I also think @Branka-and-Silvia0 idea of a printed story in the cottage is a must. That way people can read and consider the story in their own time.... I've learnt from experience, that some people want to chat and ask lots of questions when they arrive, while others want as little information and conversation as possible. By leaving Bundle's (appropriate name, by the way) printed story in the cottage, you've got all bases covered. 

On a side note, we live in the bush and occasionally birds fly into our windows and don't recover.... Twice recently, our guests have found them outside the Studio and notified us. I felt awful they had to witness this, but it's a part of nature.... and they were fine about it. 

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

Oh this is outstanding! Thank you for the chuckle. I've just dealt with a red squirrel infestation at a long term rental. Really could have used Bundle's help.

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

I suggest that you print Bundle's story as written in your first post, with photos, and frame it in the guest room.  Just make it a funny quirk of your household.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Helen56  I think you’re dead right. After all the reponses on here, I’m actually quite keen to do that now !