Marks on new walls

Eugene0
Level 1
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Marks on new walls

Just had our second ever guests in a newly renovated apartment. Apart from a lot of trash they left marks from a pen on the wall.

Any advise on how to resolve this with the guest, they were a couple with young children. Should I just accept this?

Thanks Eugene IMG_1265.JPG

7 Replies 7
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Have you tried removing them? This is unacceptable and I would make a claim through the resolution centre. Remember though, you only have 48 hours to submit your claim.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

I've a cleaner and she's removed them after much scrubing and a layer of pain I imagine. I've instigated a claim to cover the cost and will see how that goes. The guest disputes it saying its normal wear and tear. Obviously it's not. I'll see how the system works. Thanks for your comment.

Magic sponge?

This kind of thing is why I hate kids.  Ok, not "hate" hate kids, but not a fan.  They are easily bored and will do whatever they can to entertain themselves, even if that means writing on walls.

Eugene -
Normal wear and tear are scoff marks from luggage, chips and dents but not kids' arts and drawing on your walls. Charge them for cleaning and scrubbing and purchase of a can of paint.
Deb0
Level 9
Mendocino, CA

I agree with @Linda10 but also think it's a quick fix. Try a "Magic Eraser" (google it), should work easily. It's also a good idea to keep a bit of the wall paint color around so you can patch up marks as needed. Painting is fun!

Eugene0
Level 1
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Ok, so I went with the resolution process. I asked for €50 and got €35. So happy enough. I also discovered this morning a missing wine glass from a set and spoon. Normal I suppose.

This Airbnb takes a little getting used to but its helped by having people like you guys here to answer my questions.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Hi, I have just had a couple who brought in a brand new suite their bicycles and marked the walls, scratching them and also with black grease (probably dirty hands)... i took pictures and dont know whether writing a bad review (there was pizza stuck on the floor, food everywhere) - would you recommend to claim back something? to them or Airbnb? I am going to repaint over the black marks as they are ugly in the brand new, spotless place.

Can you please advise? They hve left today.

Thanks a lot