Love to see a new way to rate hosts and guests- starting a Green Host certification

Marcelle10
Level 3
Sarasota, FL

Love to see a new way to rate hosts and guests- starting a Green Host certification

Hi Folks,

We are very concerned about our carbon footprint. The UN just put out a report stating that we have 12 years to save us and the planet.

I would love to see AirBnb start a 5 star Green rating.

For the host-

do they recycle?

Use LED lighting?

Provide non-plastic garbage bags?

Use reusable shampoo/conditioner/liquid soap containers?

compost bins?

For the guest-

Did they recycle?

Turn off lights or turn down A/C?

Use bikes, public transportation or an electric car?

For Airbnb-

Provide a link to CO2 buy back to make air travel carbon neutral.

Something so that as an Airbnb community, we can try to lesson our carbon footprint.

Hope others would be interested...

38 Replies 38
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Marcelle10, I love this idea and I wholeheartedly agree that Airbnb should be promoting green homes. My home is as eco-friendly as I can make it - I recycle, compost, minimise use of plastic as much as possible (e.g. line my bins with newspaper, use wax fabric wraps instead of cling wrap), provide filtered water in glass bottles, use all-natural cleaning products, etc. etc.) and am currently looking into getting solar panels installed. I encourage my guests as much as diplomatically possible to conserve water and energy (easier said than done!).

It would be great to start a discussion here on what other hosts do in their homes and how they encourage their guests to reduce their carbon footprint in their homes. I think being a eco-conscious Airbnb host is a great way to educate people about environmental concerns, especially those from countries that don't think about it very much (of which I get many).

Marcelle10
Level 3
Sarasota, FL

I am so glad that you share my feelings.  How do we get Airbnb to take notice?  I also would like to get more conversation in what we all can do.  I like the idea of lining your bin with newspaper.  This is one area where I don't like using plastic bags but I also do not want soggy trash bins to wash.  

@Marcelle10, I compost my food scraps so actually there is very little in the way of 'soggy' items going into the general waste bin. It actually stays pretty clean - I just need to give it a quick rinse with the garden hose every now and then.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Im all for that, the big problem living on an island is the power supply is being overloaded even bigger problem is getting the guest to turn off the lights and the A/C especially when they go out all day.

We did used to charge for electric extra, you watch people turn it off then.

We had a couple recently for 4 days they never turned a light off, thats including the garden lights the outside wall lights even the light in the garage.

Hi Sudsrung,

We had the same problem with people not turning off the lights, etc.  I certainly don't want to make guests feel like I am 'watching' them too.  I also realize not everyone will be able to conform to a perfect green system.  

However,  I think the effort of trying to be green is good by providing a consciousness around the idea that we do effect our planet and even small steps count.

Robyn209
Level 2
South Australia, AU

Totally agree.

We provide separate bins and bags for compost, landfill and re-cycle and am shocked at how many guests have no idea about doing this when it's all there and the instructions are in our guest book. Even had one guest check out leaving the balcony sliding door open and the air-con on!

It's really hard to keep the stay price down when energy and water use is taken for granted. As a world where holidays are a privilidge with the future we are facing, it is up to all of us to reduce our carbon footprint as much as possible.

Air con and all the windows open I tell them the garden dont need cooling down 

Good one!!

I made a sign and put it under the air conditioner.  It is friendly and cheerful.  Since putting it up, people are more likely to turn ac off or down.

@Robyn0 (can't tag you) - many of my guests have no idea about recycling and I got pretty tired of sorting out the rubbish so I now have labels on all my bins which makes it much easier for them.

20181219_114150[1].jpg

I also have water-wise stickers in the shower and above the taps and a shower timer in the shower - contact the Water Corporation - they will happily provide you with these. I know it's still no guarantee, but I think it helps. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

These look great @Kath9

Out of of interest do your bin collectors collect these individually?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie, different councils in Australia have different bin collection systems. Here in Albany, we have 3 council-collected bins: recycling, general waste and green waste (garden clippings only). I compost food scraps myself and a couple of our supermarket chains (Woolworths and Coles) collect soft plastics so I have to take these with me when I go grocery shopping. I read something recently where soft plastics are being reused to make fencing!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's really interesting @Kath9. I like the idea of reusing plastic for fensing. I have heard something similar for I think road barriers (I think this the idea would be to use old running shoes). I like the idea. I find it fascinating. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ben3837
Level 2
Northwich, United Kingdom

If you have a spare 5 minutes please can you complete my questionnaire if you have ever used the sharing economy (Airbnb, HomeAway, etc) thank you
https://mmu.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1Apm1wHn3rbfsDc

Barbara90
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Yes! I think that addressing ways to slow down the developing holocaust caused by our appalling greed and lack of respect for our beautiful planet is the paramount priority for everyone, working at whatever level they can.

I have just returned from studying near the Northern Great Barrier Reef. 12 years ago it was teeming with life. Now 75% of it is destroyed, leaving mile upon mile of grey sludge, due to unprecedented rises in sea temperature. It is heart-breaking personally, a disaster for Australia surely but with total reef damage for the rest of the world as bad or worse, it is joining all the other global imbalances in the acceleration towards tipping point.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_bleaching#Indian_Ocean

As Airbnb hosts we are in a prime position to demonstrate good ‘green’ practise, educate, inform and lay down house rules to change attitudes and ignorance.  (It can be made interesting and fun!) Your suggestions are an excellent start.

Airbnb as an organisation should certainly be putting in place a CO2 mitigation scheme. It should be also lobbying the UN for us, to put pressure on polluting nations, for self preservation at the least, because when disasters strike it is always the tourist industry that is the first to fail.

Thanks for this rallying call

Barbara [Surname hidden]