Is anyone else experiencing this? I have a second listing and welcomed first 3 guests fine at my ch

Bianca-Emily-Tony0
Level 3
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

Is anyone else experiencing this? I have a second listing and welcomed first 3 guests fine at my ch

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have a second listing and welcomed first 3 guests fine at my check in time of 3pm (check out is 11am) My next two guests (first time Airbnb users) reservation details came through with a check in time of 10am and 12pm. I quickly contacted them to explain something has gone wrong with airbnbs system and I've never had an ealrier check in option. They've explained that my listing shows up as allowing these check in times hence why booking my place.

I've contacted airbnb and initially they half heartedly looked at the issue by checking my check in time confirming it as 3 therefore dismissing the issue. When I screenshot the booking details they accepted there was a problem. They have offered no solution to the immediate problem that guests are booking on the day to check in at a time that i have never agreed upon or can acvomodate. Ive left work on both occasions to to a crazy fast turnover of my listing. I know I could just leave the guest until 3pm but the issue is also not their fault.

3 Replies 3

@Bianca-Emily-Tony0 it  seems that guests can select when they think they are going to arrive, even if it's outside your check in time. I only discovered this when booking as a guest myself last week & was asked to give a 2 hour window for my arrival, with times listed before allowed check in .

My advice is just email your guests, remind them of the the check in time & be firm on it (mine is 6pm because I work). And if people arrive early give them a list of places to store luggage/sites to visit/places for breakfast or lunch. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Bianca-Emily-Tony0 I noticed this last week, too.  Since there wasn't a checkout right before them, I just thought it was odd and said okay.  But when summer comes, this could cause a problem with the one listing I have that has same-day checkout and check-in.  Thanks for the heads up so we can take @Rachel177's advice and make it very, very clear what the real check-in time is.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Bianca.Emily.Tony   - 

@Paul from Seattle wrote about this last year. I don't know the specifics but when guests book within 24 hours of their check in day they can indicate through an Airbnb prompt their check in timeframe. This can be any time regardless of your check in time. I do not understand why it happens like this but CS is of little help. The best thing to do is over communicate with the guest about when exactly the space will be ready and when they are allowed to enter. In Paul's case, the guest booked at midnight, chose a 10am check in time, couldn't get in because there were still guests in the house, then called Airbnb to complain and cancel. CS sided with the guest. It's unbelievable.