Insurance for personal injury to guest - Australia

Kirsty-And-Jason0
Level 2
Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Insurance for personal injury to guest - Australia

Hi

What do you all do about insurance coverage for guests injuring themselves?  AirbNB's coverage of $1m per incident seems very much insufficient.  I just found out that policy I was sold to my by Youi (specifically for my circumstances as an AIRBNB host) only covers permanent tennants. 

Do you have specific cover or just the cover in your landlord insurance.  And who do you use? 

Thanks so much! 

7 Replies 7
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi @Kirsty-And-Jason0- I have insurance in NZ that covers liability, as part of my house insurance. However, I don’t think it’s sufficient and I had recently been looking for additional specific Airbnb cover. Unfortunately, after going all the way to brokers, I found there are no insurance products (yet) in NZ that could cover the risks I wanted.

But! In my search I did accidentally find that you can get cover in Australia from IAG, specifically for Airbnb and Stayz. It’s called Sure Cover. I recommend you check it out.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kirsty-And-Jason0

Kirsty....or Jason, get in touch with a company called 'Sharecover' they work specifically with the Airbnb and the Homeaway/Stayz platforms. 

I am not recommending them as such.....anyone will take your premium, but it is what happens come claim time that sorts out the 'wheat from the chaff'!

I specifically don't get involved in insurance recommendations any more because it is like walking on quicksand....the rules are changing all the time and whenever I have opened my mouth here I have ended up eating my words.

Google Sharecover and see what they will do for you! That's all I can say!

Cheers.....Rob

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Kirsty-And-Jason0, great question and thanks @Ben551 and @Robin4 for the advice. I have just been looking into this myself. I contacted my home and contents insurance provider, and right now, my home and contents insurance doesn't cover any damage or theft by, or injury to, Airbnb guests. However, they do have a policy (for an increased premium of course) that will cover for Airbnb (and other short-term accommodation) guests. I also contacted another major house and contents insurance provider in WA (RAC) and they have a similar policy. These policies cover for theft, damage and public liability. Sounds like Youi doesn't 'get' Airbnb - I recommend contacting your home and contents insurer and asking them whether they have a policy for covering for people staying short-term.

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

There  are quite a few posts on insurance for short term rental in Australia on this forum.

Hit enter by accident.  Sharecover is too expensive as you need it in addition to your  own insurane but quite a few lanldord policies around that cover both your insurane and guests.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi @Kirsty-And-Jason0 - sorry just to post that @Robin4 is right.  The one I was talking about is the same one he mentioned, it's called Share Cover.  Here is the article I read a while ago that talks about it.  The underwriter is IAG as I said. 

https://www.canstarblue.co.nz/banking-insurance/home-contents-insurance/get-extra-home-insurance-bef...

They offer a "booking by booking" type of cover and a "continuous cover" option, as far as I can tell.  It's the only type of policy I have found that properly undertands Airbnb host risks, including intentional damage.  Hoping something like this comes to NZ soon..

Maria2759
Level 2
Yarrawonga, Australia

Hi 

I have just tried to do an insurance comparison and found that Policies are aimed at providing cover for people who use their Family home for Airbnb.

I am concerned as I cannot find a cover for public liability(injury to guest) while staying at my investment property .

Does the Airbnb insurance cover provide for guest injury at an investment property, not my family home.

Thanks

Maria