Instant Book. Set parameters for Govt. ID but 'Personal Info' only allowed to book. What is that?

Instant Book. Set parameters for Govt. ID but 'Personal Info' only allowed to book. What is that?

Hi, Airbnb allow you to choose parameters for Instant Book but I am getting people without a Government ID and only "Personal Info"   - anyone know what that  is?  I have searched and cannot find anything about it.

26 Replies 26
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ange2 It seems to me that I had to approve some of the recent bookings and now after checking it looks like those guests do not have any gov ID. Was it possible for those guests to complete their bookings while they didn't meet your cretaria?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4   They were Instant Book guests and I had set parameters that they should have a Government ID,  they did not, they only had "Personal Info".   I am curious as to what "Personal Info " means and why Airbnb don't have that as a parameter to check.  I am even more curious as to why Airbnb allows guests to bypass my parameters of 'must have a Government ID', especially after all this talk about how the host can choose who they will accept as IB guests. My choice was ignored  and they were allowed to book.

I could decline them penalty free, or so I thought, I had read that it was one of the perks of IB.  But, recently I tried to decline an IB, after many messages in three different languages over two days the guest either refused to respond or responded with odd cryptic words and numbers. The pop up screen said I could be penalized for canceling !  So, instead of it being a quick fix it took me a few phone calls and emails to Airbnb.  At first they said I would be penalized because it was a language barrier issue – really!  and that was not considered valid as discomfort.  It was only after I asked Airbnb how many languages I had to try out and for how many days,  and more importantly was Airbnb now in the business of deciding my comfort level for me, that they agreed to cancel the reservation with no penalties.

But what I really want to know is what is "Personal Info" based on.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ange2 More and more I am coming to realise that Airbnb operates on an opportunist basis. Depending on what is going on, the easiest solution is what they pursue. 

I have no bloody idea what is going on with instant booking and some other settings. It looks like someone keeps experimenting on a live server. Two weeks ago a guest without Gov ID was able to book, an hour ago a guest with Gov ID asked for approval. IB on all the time. So I can only confirm that something is wrong with those settings.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ange2 I'm wondering if ID info has been somehow consolidated into a new nebulous category. I have must have Govt ID checked and my last IB res was from a profile that said Verified email, Verified phone, personal info...

That to me does not read as if a govt ID has uploaded.

@lizzie is this a change that we've missed the notification on???

@Kelly149   Yes "personal info"  what is that. I have been trying to find out.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ange2 @Marzena4 @alice & jeff @branka &silvia @reese&todd @Lizzie25 @dave and deb

In trying to figure out what's going on with govt ID, I read a few help center articles and found this:

"What gets shared with your host

If you’re a guest and you’re asked to provide ID, your host will see:

• Your profile name and photo.
  • Whether you’ve successfully completed this process.
  • The full name on your government ID and whether you’re over or under 25 years old.

If you’re asked to take a photo of yourself, that photo won't be shared with hosts. No other personal information you provide or other details from your ID will be shared with your host.

The name on your ID won’t replace the name on your profile. Instead, hosts will see both the name you entered on your profile and the name on your ID. The photo you take of yourself to match your ID won’t replace your profile picture."

I have NEVER had a profile tell me if a guest was over or under 25, nor a profile that listed a profile name and a full ID name.

What am I missing?? Is this help center article accurate? Have any of you ever seen this info?

@Kelly149   You only get "The full name on government ID" if they have a reservation. The profile name and "successfully completed process" appears for IB, as for age – never seen that before or after a booking.

@Ange2 right, it says info will be shared with host, but I have govt ID required and IB enabled and I have NEVER seen this info appear!! Has any host ever seen the guest "Full Name and over/under 25"???

Why are there so many areas where what ABB says is not at all what actually happens??

@Kelly149  I see full name always on a confirmed booking but never under/over 25.   Could be your browser  - try changing to Chrome or Firefox or re-caching. I dont know what's best for the app. I never use it – way too glitchy. Good luck.

@Ange2 yes, I see a full name, but it is the name that the guest has entered ontheir profile which could be different from their legal name. The help center article says that we'll be shown their profile name and their ID name and that ABB doesn't override their profile name, but rather shows them both. I've never seen this happen tho.

The issue I raised with ABB (and never actually got an explaination) was that I was getting reservation requests from people with NO verified ID at all! Very annoying considering having verified ID is a requirement for my listing. I only see the full name once a booking has been confirmed; and that name is whatever the guest has put on their profile and it not necessarily their actual/legal name. They can make up any name. You'll never get their real name unless you request to see their passport upon arrival (which I never actually do, but probably should).

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ange2 @Kelly149 @Lizzie25 I confirm that I have never got under/over 25 info. Neither does the rule of Gov ID seem to be applied. So it is yet another area of Airbnb's vagueness with their terms.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ange2@Marzena4@Lizzie25@Kelly149,

Thanks for asking about this, I will try my best to help here. 🙂

I'm just trying to get a better picture of what you are referring to. When you mention "Personal Info" are you referring to the "Airbnb stardard requirements" ie. profile photo, confirmed email, phone number etc.?

Guest requirements

Or are you seeing something else? 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie What I am seeing is that guest profiles say "personal info" as part of their verification list. It no longer says govt ID. This means that I don't know if they have or haven't uploaded govt id even tho it is a booking requirement 

Also, I think it is in this thread that we've been discussing the help center notice that says we will see two things on govt id required reservations. But none of us have ever seen this info. Would love to have more clarification on this. Thanks.