I'm worried... Fake host

Alison122
Level 2
Preston, United Kingdom

I'm worried... Fake host

Please can anyone tell me what to do with this situation:

Monday very late someone instant booked 1 night (Tuesday) said they were checking out the area had a new job to go to. They came to check in at 4.15, I showed him round, gave him the key. I asked where his bags we're, he said in the car. He told me he was going with a friend to look around, have dinner and then he'd be back not too late and He would bring his things in then! He hasn't been back, it's 3am here and the room hasn't been touched. 

I'm really worried that I've been scammed, he's got a key for my house and I don't know what to do. 

Please help

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alison122

Personally I wouldn't worry - he went out with a friend, had dinner and a few drinks, etc. Did your guest have reviews from other hosts,   have you sent him a text message to check if he is ok...

Waiit until morning and check out tiime - if he still has not turned up then contact AirBnB for their support. You never know what has happened. However, it's unlikely that you have been scammed - it's quite rare despite what you read and hear. Also, that usually happens to whole units, not a room in a house.

Good luck..

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Alison

I know this won't help you now, but for your future peace of mind...

I have two lock on my door the Guests get the key to only one lock, and I retain the key to the second in the event of similar situations.

If I felt uncomfortable, I could lock the door so they could not gain access without reverting to me.

In your case it might mean a 03:00am phone to let them in, but at least you could relax around not being cleaned out.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII