I had a client - a tax police worker, who told me she's not satisfied with my type of washing powder

Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

I had a client - a tax police worker, who told me she's not satisfied with my type of washing powder

What would you answer to this type of client? (Washing machine and powder/conditioner are for free), clean scandinavian type of room in the center of the capital per 25-27 bucks a night. Kitchen use and washing machine use are for free.

14 Replies 14
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Olga464

Answer: shes more then welcome to buy the one she wants to use, as you have no intentions of changing it,

say this to her in a courteous manner.

I actually did the same as you mentioned. But have you had such type of guests, who say: "I want more luxury soap, toothpaste, powder etc". I had it only with slavic guests. Am slavic myself. But, to me such types of demands sound bizarre.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

hjaaaoooo... 

Let her go...You can't make everyone happy. 

Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

And one more question, if somebody writes you in a review: "The host is using cheap washing powder" for example, is it potentially considered to be a big dimerit of the apartment. I mean, from the human (guest's) potential point of view? As far as it cleans well, why to overpay. But what we are facing now in eastern europe, the budgets of many companies are shrinking. And people who used to live in good hotels on their business trips move to very good private rooms now ( to match the company budgets, or steal some part of it and put it into a pocket, I am actually speaking of corporative sector moving down to airbnb room offers, shared accomodations), but we can not provide the level of cosmetic service as luxury hotels do. My balcony is facing Hyatt hotel - 150-350 bucks a night minimum. When I hear something like that, I also suggest them to rent in Hyatt, not at my place, because for 300 bucks a night they will have everything included.

@Olga464 I agree with the rest of the comments, tell her nicely you are so sorry she doesn't like the brand you use, and invite her to buy her own at the closest store.  I also liked the suggestion of putting it in a non descript container.

Me, if I read someone complaining about the brand of free laundry detergent in a listing that is also giving them free access to the washer/dryer, I would see that to reflect poorly on the guest, not the host.  

I agree

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

You could put the product in an attractive jar or bin which is neatly labeled “washing powder.”  Then they won’t know which brand it is.

That’s what I do with my cheap-ish coffee beans.

But in general, when someone is complaining about that level of minutia, the best response is to act as if you are a kindly but firm kindergarten teacher talking to a student.

”I’m sorry you feel that way. There is a store located at XYZ Street, where you can purchase your own supplies.” 

And then change the subject to something more cheerful.

I am using local production powder, which is cheap, because it's locally produced. By chemical criterias it's excellent. But jar is a great suggestion. or a plastic locking box. Thank you.

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

BTW:

There is an issue with telling them to go to the Hyatt:

They know they can’t afford the Hyatt. They know that you know they can’t afford the Hyatt. By emphasizing this fact, it makes them lose face.

The risk is that they will then try to gain face by “putting you in your place.” I could imagine this type of person writing a bad review that paints your apartment to be somehow beneath their “high standards.” This is doubly true if we are talking about someone who once was able to afford the Hyatt but now can’t because of their company’s budget problems.

Well, we are actually facing dropping down economy all over the world now. When the war conflict began on our land on russian border I had a chance to face the same problem with one of my clients, local manufacturer of winter down coats. The price was excellent and the clothes was very good, but suddenly they started to get a huge ammount of bad online reviews in their online store, as they got a group of clients who owned factories and other manufacturing businesses  in a war zone before. Some went bankrupt because of war action. And women (refugees from that zone) who used to wear natural expensive fur could only efford a cheap down coat for that moment. So, their blamings were more about their moral non stable state, but not about the quality of the product. So, as we understand,  the quality as such do not exist. But when the client suddenly moves from one financial catigory to another, that's where the trouble begins.

Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

We learn how to work with Nouveau poor here. 3 bucks change in price is very decisive for corporate representatives here now. Not easy.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Olga464, I am amazed that anything is still left to chance from your description. Should be nothing to complain about whatsoever! Maybe add a line re supplies: ''Supplies provided are the host's final decision based upon best practise and no consideration for change will be entertained. ''

That's a very good suggestion! Thank you.