How to dispute an unfair Airbnb cancellation and full refund to a guest?

Fedora0
Level 1
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

How to dispute an unfair Airbnb cancellation and full refund to a guest?

Airbnb refunded a guest who cancelled their reservation hours after they were scheduled to arrive at my home. My cancellation policy is moderate, so no refund for cancelling that late would be provided. The reason for them cancelling was that their flight  was cancelled so they would not be able to go on their vacation. I understand that it is not their fault but I don't feel like this qualifies for extenuating circumstance. Couldn't they get on another flight?? I don't feel like I should be penalised and lose income for something that is out of my control, such as the airline screwing up.  She requested that I refund her 50% of their stay. I responded that if I could rebook those nights, then I would. I guess she escalated it and now she has been refunded 100%. I have scoured this site and cannot find a place to dispute this (Couldn't they have agreed to 50% refund since that was what the customer asked for?).  Can someone tell me how I can reach out to Airbnb?

Honestly, this experience makes me feel very insecure about using Airbnb for renting my property. If my cancellation policy isn't enforced (unless there are circumstances that warrant the refund) why bother having one? My property gets booked weeks in advance and never at the last minute (this particular guest booked my home in April for their June stay), so I need a cancellation policy that protects me.  I'm reconsidering using Airbnb because I don't feel that they protect the hosts enough.  Am I being unreasonable?

11 Replies 11
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Fedora0 I agree with you on this matter it is very unfair that Airbnb cares only for the guests. We are actually the main players here who provide our property to strangers around the world, it isnt the first time that i am saying this but Airbnb is very disrespectful towards hosts. Cash and the guest come first for them and it is almost as if we dont exist.I went through almost the same situation like you where a guest cancel a week before her arrival, even my cancellation policy was set to strict she got a full refund from Airbnb because apparently she managed to provide a medical certificate to Airbnb. When i asked the latter to show me a copy of the document Airbnb refunded and i wasnt able to get any real proof that the guest had a genuine medical document. Keep calm and carry on happy hosting and good luck for the future.

I just had a two-night guest cancel en route, just a few hours before she was scheduled to arrive. My refund policy is a full refund if cancellation is within 24 hours. AirBnB refunded her entire payment, and cancelled both nights at my place. I can't figure out any way to dispute this via the web-site, and of course AirBnB is cagey about releasing a customer service telephone number. GRRRR.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I assume a canny Guest can find a way around my Moderate cancellation policy so basically something I live with.

Most of my booking are short stay so any one cancellation is annoying but the financial impact is not too serious.

I had thought of going to Strict but decided it was not worth it as it was effectively unenforcable. I will stay with Moderate for now.

David
Ben194
Level 2
Oxford, United Kingdom

I have a strict cancellation policy.

My guests booked several months ago for 8 nights; they have stayed stayed for three nights but one of them has fallen ill and they are now returning home.

AirBnB has given them all five nights fee back and I have a £200 debt- - all my regular customers having made other arrangements.

This feels unbalanced, not part of the strict policy, and unreasonable- I could have rented the place several times over, given even a few days notice .......

Is there any re-dress for this situation?

regards, benP

It was cancelled under Extenuating Circumstances so your Strict policy does not apply.

David

Very unhappy Airbnb cancelled a guest for a full week reservation as my cancellation.  Not only was I unable to re-list I had to re-do all the beds as the guest mussed up every one.  I iron and starch the top sheet and pillows - 4 per bed.  I wash the pillows every month or re-place them. The guest found the place a health hazard for their kids.  NEVER had I a review complaint about his issues.  This was his first time using Airbnb whereas I have been there for years.  WHY side with the newbi ? 

I should not be penalized !

My next guest is bring 5 kids from the age of 3 to 7 years.  She has been renting for 3 years in a row and is always happy to get here. She finds the cancellation absurd.

I leave food for the guests, upscale bathroom products, allow pets.  I have beautiful flowers and cut the grass regularly.  I am usually available by phone and email immediately unless mowing the lawn, in the shower, at the doctor's office or dead asleep (unusual).

My place is filled with art and antiques and leather furniture and first edition books.  I believe I am the one at risk here. 

I want the cancellation deemed to be on my part, retracted as it was not my choice but Airbnb's.

Laura942
Level 1
Hesperia, CA

I am extremely upset that my last guest did not get charged a cancellation fee. There was nothing wrong with the room. I have only received 5 star reviews from other guests. Her not liking a closet door is a matter of personal preferences and there were other rooms available. Her other reason, door not having a lock, she was informed of that days prior to her arrival and she asked if she could put a lock on the door and remove when she leaves and I agreed. Those days were held for a long time which prevented many people from using that room. Additionally, I paid the housekeeper to get her room ready and wait for her to give her the key to the house. My housekeeper gets paid hourly and guest said she would check in at 10am but she did not show up until noon which cost me an additional 2 hours of housekeeping to wait for her. WHy wasnt she charged a cancellation fee. She knew my sister had passed away and I was out of town, so I feel that I was taken advantage of during my family's tragedy.

Terrible, simply terrible. Have you opened a dispute in the AirBnB Resolution Center? 

Karen313
Level 10
San Clemente, CA

@Fedora0 No, you're not being unreasonable at all. You have your cancellation policy in place and upheld your end of the arrangement. 

Nina1327
Level 2
Villas, NJ

Hello everyone, I’m so upset  A  guest canceled 4 hours before check in & played the covid card , within in hour airbb refund 100% back to guest , my question is how & why this guest didn’t cancel before check in day , obviously she knew her husband had covid & 2 days before according to airbb so why didn’t she cancel 48 before , we had huge country concert in my county , I’m still waiting for new booking but I guess in to late , we got to be able to hold of higher up in airbb and address our concerns on refunds , because I am strict policy , & i think they should of only given 50% refund 4 hours before check in , my gut feeling told me this lady was booking 3 way , because after she called me to tell me her husband had covid , night before check in , I messaged her explaining I meet & greet , next morning , I guess after realizing I would be there to take IDs , now she has her children, 36years old 33 years old 26 years that can stay in her place , but I told her yes they can but I need ID on one proving she’s 25 years  old , my policy 25 years up , next thing you I know it’s canceled & 100% refund was given , I tried calling airbb and they all say the same thing , they have covid , ugh I hope this doesn’t happen again. , because after may 31 2022 they can’t get a refund for covid no more so will see 

Amelia-Bland0
Level 2
Elk Creek, VA

This is awful. Following