How to communicate with guest that leave a mess?

Vladislav0
Level 1
Oslo, Oslo, Kingdom of Norway

How to communicate with guest that leave a mess?

Hello! 

I often experience that some guests are very accurate and tidy and the others leave the flat dirty.  It often requires double as much time to clean after such people. What to do?

To write a bad review is nothing. To charge money for cleaning, but I dont want to take it from tidy people. Deposit works only if something is damaged. But if house rules say, "wash up after you" and they dont do it, trash all over the place,  what to do? Violation of house rules took place, but there is no remedy to punish that.

Anyone can suggest something? I thought to charge for cleaning and then return money to tidy people, but it is to much administration for that. 

31 Replies 31
Nancy117
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I disagree. Airbnb usually charges way less than a hotel. At least in my city is true. If they want all the luxuries as not cleaning and spending as much water, gas, electricity you feel like, you should pay for them.

If you want to save money by staying in somebody's house, be respectful.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

My name is Lizzie and I am the Online Community Manager here in the Community Center.

It has been mentioned elsewhere in the Community Center, but I wanted highlight this again below. 

"Airbnb’s mission is to help create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. We believe that by sharing our homes, meeting people from across the world, and experiencing different cultures, we can foster the understanding that leads to that community of belonging.  Earlier this year we published our Standards and Expectations, which are an expression of our community’s shared values, and were created based on what hosts and guests have told us they view as acceptable conduct and behavior when using Airbnb. A foundational value in these Standards that relates to your particular question is the principle of Fairness; specifically the section on Discriminatory Behavior or Speech. This is further explained in our nondiscrimination policy which all community members agree to as part of their use of Airbnb. If we become aware that a member of our community has explicitly violated this standard, adverse action may be taken on their account, including potential removal from the Airbnb community.

We remain committed to making Airbnb one of the most open, trusted, diverse, transparent and accepting communities in the world. As part of this, we encourage you to explore ways to interact with people from all backgrounds and to find the common threads that bring us together. For more information, read our recent blog post. "

Please keep the above in mind when posting and just so you are aware I am going to close this thread to new replies now.

Thank you for your time.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.