How to Fix the Problem of Guests Leveraging Reviews In Damage Reimbursement Situations

Brian783
Level 3
La Quinta, CA

How to Fix the Problem of Guests Leveraging Reviews In Damage Reimbursement Situations

I just left this in the "feeback" tool of Airbnb but thought I'd post it here as well to see if it gains any traction, because it's a bad design in the platform and ends up potentially hurting any user:

I'm a superhost in Caifornia with 14 months on the platform. Recently I have started renting my whole house instead of the individual bedrooms. Both of my recent reservations left significant damage to my property, causing me to use the request for funds and the resolutions center. The first guest is denying responsibility despite the clear evidence I have in photo and video, and we have now gone to the "involve Airbnb" stage.

Despite this, the review process is still open to them. It occurs to me that I'm in quite a vulnerable position, because guests who don't want to pay up for the damage they caused could leave me a bad review and hurt my business, which I have worked extremely hard to build. A host shouldn't be put in the situation where the guest has a hammer to hold over their head if the host asks for reimbursement to the significant damage caused by the guest, and the guest doesn't want to pay.

And here's the real problem: guests who book a whole house often come in a big group, but only one member of the group has an Airbnb profile involved. If some other person in the group damages something when no one else is looking, they are likely to not say anything, because they want to avoid the embarrassment, especially in groups of young people who are coming to party, or when there are little kids involved who don't want to get in trouble with their parents/elders. A kid is more likely to just hide something in a closet and hope it goes unnoticed so they don't get in trouble. Therefore, the individual with the Airbnb profile, who made the reservation, now has to respond to the request for money, even though they ACTUALLY have no knowledge of the damage themselves, because it was someone else in the group who caused it, and they didn't personally notice it before they checked out.

Then the host is in a situation where the individual guest who made the reservation feels attacked and accused of something they didn't do, even though the host has photo evidence that the damage occurred. In that scenario, the guest is likely to leave a bad review, and the offending individual in the group, who did not make the reservation, has literally NO incentive to admit the damage except for their potential concern for their relationship with the individual who made the reservation. Even still, they're more likely to stay quiet, since in a big group it will never come to light who caused the damage, and the situation is so amorphous and removed anyway, especially if people have traveled a long way. That puts a host who has incurred significant damage to their property, but doesn't want a bad review, in a really crappy position.

My recommendation is that you suspend the review process for both parties entirely until the resolution request process has been completed. If the guest pays it within 72 hours, the issue is settled amicably and the review option opens back up for both parties immediately. But if it comes to the "Involve Airbnb" stage, then after the resolution process is completed, Airbnb's neutral team should make a judgment on whether or not either party should be allowed to leave a review. You will end up with a more honest reflection of hosts and guests on the platform that way, instead of letting personal feelings and revenge dictate hosts' or guests' public image on the platform. And that's the goal, right?

Also, let's face it: it's hosts who have everything to lose in a situation like that, not guests. Guests are barely impacted by bad reviews at all, considering that most hosts allow instant book, and even in the very rare event that a guest gets kicked off the platform, they can always just have someone else with an account make future reservations for them. But a host could have their business significantly damaged by even a couple of unwarranted bad reviews, and that ends up costing Airbnb money too, since, after all, it's the hosts who are Airbnb's cash cow and provide all the services from which income Airbnb collects its fees.

35 Replies 35
Ashley506
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

Having a similar frustration. We typically just rent a room and have only allowed families for the whole house. My most recent guest brought a group who turned off the security cameras (one no longer works), had drugs in the house, and woke up neighbors.

The guest maintains she she was unaware and she did everything she could to clean up. The house was left in great shape aside from the broken camera and neighbor complaints about noise in the backyard at 4am.

I cannot amend my review of her, and she is refusing to compensate the camera until I do so. What would you do? Can AirBNB find a way to suspend reviews until disputes are settled? She was actually quite apologetic and willing to pay, but I feel stuck currently. Also can’t get a reply for AirBNB for over a day.

If your guest is willing to pay then you shouldn't really have any problem. I wouldn't worry so much about the review for your guests in my opinion guest reviews are mostly irrelevant anyway, as they only affect future bookings with hosts who don't have instant book enabled. Just send a request for funds through the app. You can find that in your inbox in the message thread with the guest. You can provide pictures of what you're seeking reimbursement for, then it automatically generates a message and email to your guest, and all they have to do is follow the prompts to pay you

Ashley if you have her saying in the app that she will pay for the damage I am sure Airbnb will reimburse you, and Airbnb won't allow you to change her review so that is not within your control.  Have you started the process through the resolution center?  My advise, get as much info as possible, photos, receipts of the camera, screenshots of her admitting to the damage and put all of this in the resolution center request, in 3 days when Airbnb gets involved if they have all this information they "should" come to the right decision and reimbure you for the camera.  Good luck, I have my own damage claim open the guest said they would pay for it however I don't think they thought a broken shower rod would cost $237, even though they said they would pay for it they have not and have not responded since, alas I await for the 72 hours to expire myself.  😞

My recent experience with Airbnb not make me believe Airbnb care about host and fairness 

To the Airbnb community. Any hosts who are host Kirstina has to be VERY Alert 

She appear a young nice lady. As her first rent my place on Airbnb. We make it clear on check in instructions that specify of parking and Laundry situation and personally discuss about no parking on business parking during business hours 

As a young lady we try to commendation anything she want . 

One day there is a strange car parked on our business parking since early morning till noon without being picked up 

And we

Wow!   I can’t believe they haven’t answered back right away.  I’ve had problems just like anyone else but all my problems get corrected and right away!   Go to the resolution center. They will solve your problem and forget their review.  Your taking a chance if it will come it positive or negative.   I’d rather have one less review

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

First of all, I don't think anyone who has gone to the trouble to list their house and start hosting has a "secret plan" to scam guests out of money on the guarantee deposit.  Especially a superhost who has far more invested and at risk than any guest.

Needing to involve airbnb in a damage dispute is a nightmare to any host and not something anyone would take on lightly.

This basic fact should be recognized by the platform.  I feel it as a veiled threat to hosts, like do you *really* want to go there and use the damage deposit, because you know what will happen if you do!!!

I absolutely agree that if a damage dispute is introduced the review process should be frozen. 

I also think that hosts should be able to zap a small number of "outlier" reviews over a given period.  These reviews are clearly left on the platform because it gives it a more "real" feeling to the website.  But the distress that hosts go through over this is disproportionate.

As for large groups renting the whole large house - maybe you should think again about the type of rental because that seems like a recipe for disaster.  You might be better off closing off half of the bedrooms and renting it as a 3 or 2 bedroom.  You can even make a separate listing for example, activating instant book for smaller capacity and keeping it on request for large groups.

Why not ask for IDs of the adults who will be residing in the house?  This is actually the law where I am I am required to get everyone's ID.  This is a huge deterrent I see people's physical demeanor change when I ask for their ID card.

Finally, the person who rented and paid is the one responsible, regardless of what his friends might have done or not done.  I'm still learning how to state the obvious in non-confrontational and non-emotional language but it seems this can be done, maybe without putting the person on the spot, let him know you know it wasn't him personally but his friend, etc, and despite that he is still responsible for paying the damage and getting the money back from his friend if he feels he must.

H

Smart. I think those are all good ideas. Especially getting all the IDs

I put this as the lead paragraph in my House Rules:

THIRD PARTY BOOKINGS, GUEST SUBSTITUTIONS AND SUB-LETTING are not allowed under this AirBnB rental agreement. The party requesting the reservation thru the AirBnB system must have their ID verified thru AirBnB before the reservation will be accepted. The names of all full time adults participating in the rental must be supplied in advance. Only registered and declared guests will be allowed to move in and you may be required to show an accepted government issued form of identification that matches the AirBnB reservation verified ID information. This identity verification may involve a third party law enforcement or security officer.

Please explain how you get the names of all full time adult guests in advance? I've never seen any feature for that on the app.

Hi Linda, I think the people that do that just do so on their own. A lot of hosts take extra measures beynd the standard Airbnb procedures to keep themselves protected. You could write it into your house rules that all adults present in the booking must give full names and furnish an ID, or else you reserve the right to terminate the reservation without a refund. Something like that, you'd have to decide how to word it. In Phil's post above, that's what he's talking about: he mentions that he puts that little blurb in the first paragraph of his house rules.

I have seen other listings put conditions and legal language right on the front of their listing, in the listing description. Personally, I haven't gone that far because I still want my listing description to be somewhat inviting and sales-oriented, and I think it's sufficient to put my important conditions in the house rules, but it depends on how you want to do it, and also how much demand there is for a particular listing. I live very close to the Coachella Music Festival and with those type of bookings you can run into an absolute nightmare if you're not careful, because people will come in and party, take a bunch of drugs and trash the place. But no matter what the lsiting description says, the demand for Coachella rentals is so high that someone will book it. So actually, having strong legal language in the listing description may deter bad parties from booking in the first place and ensure that you end up getting booked by respectful people who will take care of your house and property.

Linda from Fairfax.                                                                  I did this a long time ago so I don’t remember how to do it.  Call Airbnb and they will guide you thru it!

Una pregunta? Soy nuevo Anfitrión, debo pedir un dinero en forma de seguro reembolsable, a la entrega de la casa??

Pides un depósito pero si te hacen un daño tú le reclamas a Airbnb y ellos lo averiguan.   Y si tienes la razón y pruebas (photos). Te dan el dinero que pides.  Por ejemplo.   Pides 100 dólares de depósito y meten un perro y hace su que hacer y usted le quiere cobrar $50 porque ocupasteis a alguien que lo recojera y desinfectar , te lo dan.   Nunca vas aver los depósitos. Nomas lo ves cuando tienes la razón 

Irene334
Level 2
Yeppoon, Australia

I'm in Australia. After reading your situation and having a similar issue I thought I would post my experience too. I have one property that can host 10 people. Even though the House Rules state no parties ppl still try to book it. To avoid it being booked for parties I stipulate a minimum booking of 3 days. Over the busy Christmas/NY period I stipulate a minimum 4 days. While this will limit bookings I would prefer to have less bookings than constantly have to sort out damage issues. By far the majority of guests have been excellent, however I have had 2 bookings that I wasn't happy with. The first was a family who stole everything that wasn't nailed down. The fridge, pantry and bathroom were cleaned out. As a result I've decided not to provide those extras again. The rest I just wrote off to experience. The other booking was made by a local for an interstate club competing in a local competition. They left the house in a shocking mess but I felt I couldn't post a bad review because the person that booked did not even stay at the house. I think this needs to be looked into by Airbnb. The person who booked was a young mother and a local and I felt it was unfair to give her a bad rating as it could affect her if she wanted to book for her own family holiday. I called her and explained why I didn't give her a review and told her that I wouldn't book a group from her again. Have Airbnb considered giving clubs a better option for booking. For example if a club secretary had to do the booking under the club name the club would be liable and have to chase its members for damage costs, not the owner.