How much to reimburse?

Olga11
Level 2
United States

How much to reimburse?

I have guests staying for a month. A few days before their arrival a heat pump for a hot tub at my condo went out. At first, we were told by our management company that a part was ordered and the hot tub should be fixed within a week or so. There are 2 buildings at our complex and 2 hot tubs. I informed the guests that they could use the other hot tub for a while which is only 200 feet from our building. Now I found out the issue with the heat pump is much bigger and at this time the management company can't give me an answer when the hot tub will be repaired. The guests are not happy that the parents have to walk with their 12-year-old daughter to the other hot tub to watch her. This is the first time I have to reimburse guests for a missing amenity and I do not know what is an appropriate amount since there is another hot tub they can use. If it was me I would not complain about this at all. These guests are paying $1150 (before taxes and an Airbnb fee) for a month. I would appreciate any advice.

9 Replies 9
Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

@Olga11 the amenity is available - just a bit farther away. I would offer something nominal $50-75. I think it’s a way of showing them you understand their point of view. 

BTW your listing is lovely!

Thank you

@Olga11 When the guests booked your listing, was Hot Tub a listed amenity, with explicit details about its proximity to the condo? If this is the case, and the heat pump issue prevents you from offering the amenity in its advertised state, a token rebate like @Ann783  suggests would be appropriate. Otherwise, it's not really necessary.

Either way you go, I'd recommend waiting until the end of the stay before offering or discussing partial refunds. Otherwise, you risk establishing a pattern in which the guests start coming up with all kinds of (non-)issues to try to get more refunds out of you. It should be clear that anything you offer is a kind gesture and not an entitlement. 

That's the position I've decided to take. I am waiting to hear from the management company how long these repairs will take and then I will decide on the size of refund if any. I appreciate the input.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I agree with previous advice—but in your shoes I would be leaning on the management company. In my experience as a hot tub owner, repair or replacement (if necessary) should not take significant time.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Olga11 

$1,150 for a month for 4/5 people (guest + 2parents+ 12 yr old child)?

They are lucky to be staying at your place for that price AND have access to a hot tub.

I would apologize and offer to break the lease. 

One way or the other, their complaints will stop.

Often times a good bitch slap shows guests the good deal they are getting.

This is what my husband suggested too. We are making very little money in winter, our low season but this is a going rate here and it covers our overheads.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Olga11 At most, I would consider taking them some cupcakes or something you think they might enjoy by way of saying sorry for the inconvenience. I wouldn't give them a refund at all. They still have access to a hot tub, and that price does seem very cheap for a fully-furnished property for a month.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Olga11 All that for $1000 and they are not complaining? I am not allowed to mention my complaining guests any more after this! You do not advertise distance to hot tub anywhere at all so politely tell them that nothing changed from your advertising and you are simply keeping them posted. This will be a lovely walk for them, it will surely become part of their favorite routine. Where are these people from that their 12 year old has a month off anyway? And what 12 year old wants to be watched by grandparents at all times 🙂 Unless of course the child has special needs, then of course this makes sense but still does not warrant a refund