How honest should a guest review be?

How honest should a guest review be?

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a conundrum as to what to write for a guest review.

A party of four came to our wee unti and essentially had a party. They left more empty bottles behind than I would have thought four people could get through (though to be clear, I've no reason to think they invited more people, I think they just did drink a lot), and there was something wet on the bed covers.

The thing is they didn't exactly break any rules (it says no parties but it was really just the four of them drinking a lot of making a lot of noise). I just wouldn't host that kind of group again - we live in the main house that the unit we rent out is attached to, and have a young child. Most of our bookings have been for families or quiet couples etc.

I think some of the solution is to add to the rules for the future, though I don't want to come across as mean. In the meantime, what do I say about these guests? I don't think I would host them again, but because they're not the right group for our property.

If you say 'would not host again', do they see that? I don't actually want to upset them because I think they were just having a good time, but I'd love for us not to come up on their search again - does it do that automatically if you say you wouldn't have them back?

(Obviously there's nothing to stop them booking under a different account.)

Still fairly new to this, so any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks x

18 Replies 18
Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Sally434 Hi, it is difficult to write reviews when you are new to this world we call AIRBNB. My advise is always stick to the facts, never give opinions and always tell the truth. The question of extra guests turning up is a common problem, a number of hosts in your situation let it slide because they (quite rightly) are concerned about guests reviews but please remember neither review is published until both have been received by BNB (unless the 14 day period has elapsed). The one thing I would remind you off is liability insurance, (not sure about France) but UK firms are very strict about number of guests sleeping in a property. Please remember if you do not mention it in a review then maybe you are passing on the problem to the next host (unintentionally).

Regards Shaun.

Lida20
Level 2
California, United States

I would give them a good rating except for cleanliness and leave a personal note in more detail

Alice506
Level 2
West Milford, NJ

I want to know how to view a hosts reply to the question by ABB , would you recommend this guest?  I am honest when I reply NO, however, it can only be seen by ABB.  How do I see those locked responses?     

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alice506  I'm not sure if you can see those responses, but I could be wrong.

It used to be that you could maybe figure it out if a guest had six reviews, for example, but their profile said only four hosts recommened them. That begs the question of why the remaining two reviewing hosts did not. I am not sure if you can see this anymore.

If you use Instant Book, you can see the star ratings the guest has been given by a previous host, which should give you some idea. It is unlikely that a host has given a thumbs down and then five stars overall. Also, with Instant Book, you have the option to only allow guests to use it for your place if they are recommended by other hosts. I believe that means if they have a thumbs down/not recommened, they would not be able to do so.

If you are not using IB, I'm afraid the ratings are totally hidden and you can only go by the written reviews.