Hosting in Toronto - New rules have been confirmed by LPAT today November 18,2019

Donata12
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Hosting in Toronto - New rules have been confirmed by LPAT today November 18,2019

LPAT has dismissed the appeal and the new changes voted by the City of Toronto Council 2 years ago will now come into effect. Timelines and implementation will be communicated in December. Here is the link to what has been published today 

https://www.toronto.ca/community-people/housing-shelter/rental-housing-standards/short-term-rentals/

I wonder if Airbnb plans any action to mitigate the huge loss in listings they will experience. I am pro changes to a certain point, don't' mind paying a tax on occupancy like hotels do nor a license to be able to host. What i have a problem with is the fact that all listed properties have to be the primary residence. I do no think this is fair.

Thoughts?

17 Replies 17

Just to clarify:

-Licenses are not yet being verified/enforced because it wasn't anticipated to happen until the end of summer.

-Similarly, nothing is being done with respect to AirBNB at the moment as bylaw enforcement is being focused on enforcing the provincial EMCPA orders during COVID.

-Listings cannot be grandfathered in.

Good luck!  🙂

@Danielle476  Thanks for this info. Are you saying that licenses have been issued to some of the hosts? Because I wasn’t able to get a hold of anybody to find out. I don’t have mine yet and I am still out of the country. 
I would appreciate if you have any more info.

Regarding grandfathering I wrote that I heard of that from someone so it could just be a rumour. 

I am trying to find out about licensing because as soon as the emergency act is lifted and the city will allow for licensed short terms I plan to lost my unit again.

thanks!

Hi Donata,

Thanks for your informative response.

I have to navigate around all the fields to find tax profile/VAT. 

Appreciate your reply!

Ash