Horrible guests-- soliciting help in review process

Elise43
Level 2
Nellysford, VA

Horrible guests-- soliciting help in review process

Hey ya'll,

I've been hosting every weekend (and them some) for three years now and I have just hosted my worst guests, a passel of angry slobs. No permanent damage, though some graffitti by (older) children on walls-- they evidently like their names a lot-- and I'll paint over. But our cottage was left in chaos after just 18 hours, mounds of dirty dishes, furniture spread around outside, things scattered inside, etc. I should write an honest review. I am sure the mother who booked is a first-time user, so I thought a lot of my specifics would go in the "direct to guest" section. But my fear is that the father of the group was a loud, angry guy who yelled his head off at the kids and seemed violent-- and they don't live that far from us, an hour or so, so part of my thinks I shouldn't be honest, I should be safe and protect my own family.

I will probably just contact Airbnb directly, but if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Elise

3 Replies 3
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elise43

If you don't know how a review will go and you are protecting the reputation, which someone in your position has built up it is probably best to be very short and generic with their review....."Communication was good but some aspects of their stay I did not find comfortable. I wish the guest all the best for the future, but would not be willing to host them again"!

Elise you haven't accused them of anything specific, you have just said they could have been better.

When their review comes if it is a good one with a good star rating you can thank them for their review and say it was just a pity that their perception of an Airbnb stay was more aligned to hotel accommodation that home hosting! Once again nothing specific.

If their review is a bad one, Elise, your a superhost, your the one that has alot to lose!

You can shame them without bad mouthing them, accusing them of lying or get into a war of words with them. Doing that will just attract attention to the review, which you don't want to do!

Firstly you can say how you value guests feedback because that is how we all learn and  you will take the feedback on board. On the other hand feedback for guests can be handy to and there were couple of obsevations you would like to make...."Children and artwork go together, and I love to see creativity, but it was possibly a bit unfortunate that some art paper had not been provided for them! Still their efforts cleaned up ok in the end"!

"We do like people to feel they can let their hair down, as you do on a holiday, but we hope that our guests will realise they are coming into a home environment and although we can't enforce it, we like to think they will treat our house as they would their own and respect the surroundings!" 

You are warning other hosts without giving the guest a reason for revenge. 

Statements like this make you look a diplomatic and commonsense person.

I do hope this helps Elise....good luck.

Cheers.....Rob

Be specific and objective. Something like, "a lot of cleaning was required to get the space ready for the next guests since there was a sink full of dishes, writing on the walls, furniture on the lawn -----" I might also include a private message to airbnb about the angry yelling and feeling unsafe and uncomfortable. Thumbs down for sure which they will not see.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Big thumbs down obviously and something on the lines of would be better suited to a hotel, message will come across.

They can always cancel their account and set up a new one so no need to get into a war.

David