Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Dermot17
Level 1
Galway, Ireland

Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Im a Superhost in Ireland and with Airbnb for 3 1/2 years, for all of which time I have been with Liberty Insurance who when phoned when I started, confirmed that I was covered, (Ive only small house with only 1 spare bedroom as well as my own and would just be letting that 1 room and taking 1/2 guests at a time,  which the 2 people that I talked to said wouldnt be a change of use of property requiring change of insurance cover), but now it transpires, after my requesting my insurance  cover clarification in writing, I have been informed that they dont cover Airbnb properties, (and are also denying any record of my having informed them that I was doing Airbnb!?), and that I have 10 days to find an alternative provider?

I have 2 individual guests booked for quite a while over that 10 day period, (and have blocked all the other dates)

Any advice, ideas or suggestions would be very gratefully accepted?

Dermot

1 Reply 1
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Dermot17 

The insurance companies are battening down the hatches in anticipation of the harsh new regs which are - allegedly - coming into force on June 1st. Nobody knows for sure exactly what the terms of the new legislation will be, so until things have been clarified, it's unlikely that the insurance firms will be offering cover for Airbnb-related activity, particularly to small, independent hosts.