Help Needed Getting NEW Bookings

Help Needed Getting NEW Bookings

I opened in March and was booked almost every night until recently when it appears as if I am only getting a trickling of bookings.

Can someone offer me some good advice as to how to build my bookings back up again?

And is there someway to have my booking closer to the top of the page?

Here is my listing:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32887885

Thank you in advance.

Priscilla

42 Replies 42

I believe low quality comes from the way a guest acts and conducts themselves.   Sadly sometimes, not always, with lower rates also come people that have a different way of thinking.  Since this is my home and I am renting out a private room, I want to attract guests that are going to respect my boundries, my home and  myself.  I quickly found that my lower rates along with the kitchen, washer and dryer privilegages attracted people whose respect level and actions were also low.   I have a nice home in a good community.  Because of that and my rates plus what I offered is what led to attracting some less desirable guests, along with the nicer guests as well.  Afterall, who wouldn't want all of that in a nice home for $20.00 a night.   Once I raised my rates a bit, I no longer attract those people.

Alan475
Level 3
Angaston, Australia

Hi Priscilla,

Just a suggestion: maybe review all your photos on a different device and replace where where necessary.  

Just a couple that don’t make sense.

A pic of the top of fireplace? Would be better to see the entire fireplace.

and just a pic of a hand rail? Is it in the shower? Or over a bath? and Listerine on the vanity?

All the best with hosting.

Strothers Farm House

Thank you.  Great suggestions.  I will review those pictures and replace as suggested.  I think I was just in a hurry to get pictures online since I was new.  I never even thought about the Listerine. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Priscilla150  So how do you ensure that couples are married? Do you require them to submit a marriage certificate?

@Sarah977  I was wondering the same.  I see some potential trouble brewing here...  😉

It is on the honor system.  I don't require proof of anything.  They are guests in my home and as such, I expect them to abide by the same rules as everyone else that would stay here.  I am not turning anyone away, I am not judging them, I simply prefer separate sleeping quarters for those that are not married, but in a non-platonic relationship.  I would expect the same of any of my own family members if they were in the a non-platonic relationship and were staying here.  I am sure each Host has certain rules and regulations they live by and want their guests to follow.  I don't have many, but that is one.

@Priscilla150  While I may not agree with you, I do respect your view.  Nevertheless,  I feel the need to point out that you might be opening a can of worms here.  Requiring non-married couples to pay MORE for an air mattress and making them  sleep on living room floor probably constitutes discrimination in Airbnb's view.

This is their policy.

Airbnb hosts may not

• Decline a guest based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
  • Impose any different terms or conditions based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
  • Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any guest on account of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.

So Ann, how does one handle this situation for non-married couples?  I don't want to turn anyone out.   I certainly wouldn't treat them any differently while visiting with them or helping out with whatever they need.  I just am not able to accomodate their sleeping together.  

There must be some middle ground here and I had hoped I found it, but after listening to various people's opinions, maybe not.

If means my own home rules must be thown out the window to earn a few extra dollars, I am not willing to do that.  

Priscilla

@Priscilla150    As it seems, you have three choices here:  leave your listing as is and risk being reported(which WILL happen sooner or later) and potentially have your listing removed; put your personal convictions aside and accept people as they come; or, lastly, quit hosting.   Obviously, I cannot tell you what to do, Priscilla, but when you signed up with Airbnb as a host, you agreed to abide by their policies(whether you read them or not).   

Thanks Ann.

@Priscilla150  Hosts have rules and regulations regarding how guests should behave in terms of using amenities, not having parties, quiet times, and cleanliness, etc. but no, I don't imagine many hosts try to impose their own moral standards on their guests, and as Ann points out, it is actually against Airbnb's discrimination policy.

I am not prejudice or discriminating to any person.  How they live is up to them and it definately is not my place to try and change them or tell them otherwise.  I simply live by a different set of standards then most people these days.  I honor my home, my family and the people that come here.  I hope they would honor my home and house rules as well.   

Asking non-married people to sleep separately is not discrimiating to me.  It is simply following my own values.  My guests are not sleeping on the floor with the Airbeds.  They are as comfortable as a regular bed or so I am told, they are tall and well off of the floor.

This is quite a dilemma that I never thought I would encounter.

Priscilla

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Priscilla150 even if they pay extra they can still sleep in the same bed, you sure won't be staying in their room all evening to watch them how they sleep. It is off-putting and many guests even married couples wouldn't stay in a place that makes differences between people. It is a matter of time before someone reports your listing. I respect your opinion but this is a business and as you want people to agree to your policies you must agree Airbnb's policy and don't discriminate because no matter how many times you say that you accept everyone this is in reality discrimination. 

@Priscilla150  Yes, asking a couple who haven't bothered to get an official piece of paper stating they are married to sleep in separate beds when they are accostomed to sleeping together is indeed discriminatory. Not allowing friends and family who may come to visit to share a bed if they are not married is quite a different thing than expecting paying guests to adhere to your particular set of moral values, especially if you expect them to pay for another bed or room. 

I imagine this requirement has something to do with a lack of bookings. If I was looking at your listing with the thought of booking, even if I was only booking for myself, I would pass, because dictating moral values to guests is not something I'd want to support.

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

Try pretending you're a guest in your area looking for Airbnb options similar to yours. When you do the search, you will be able to see who you are competing with, what their profile's say, what their pictures look like, etc. It's good to get inspiration from the top performers because this increases the likelihood that your listing will have what guests are looking for.